Stuck on Loading cache

In Linux, just del or rename “~/.config/obsidian”

Other trials that do not work

• reinstall
  • rm “~/.config/obsidian/Cache/Cache_Data”
  • rename my vault
  • open empty vault
3 Likes

It would so nice if someone could explain this in detail, for people unfamiliar with changing system files… this seems to be a serious issue for the obsidian team to take into consideration. Thanks

1 Like

I built a new computer, installed Obsidian fresh, copied my vault over and it ran perfectly. I was so excited. It opened and closed as expected for about a week. Then, yesterday, I decided to setup sync for the first time and now it gets stuck on loading cache again. I wonder if this problem is related to sync. I turned off sync but it still gets stuck. My next step is to uninstall Obsidian, reinstall without sync, and see if that works.

1 Like

I am near certain this has to do with Sync. In my case, the problem started when I went past the 10gb sync capacity. I performed the same steps @up4young performed, but I also immediately stopped my sync thereafter. Haven’t had the issue crop up again. I am sure it would if I did.

Is everyone else on the thread using sync? Maybe that’s the culprit…

Thanks for that. You would think the developers would fix this since many are affected.

I discovered why “loading cache” wasa taking so long in Obsidian startup process on my computer: it was the “frontamatter links” plugin. Even if that not your case, the method I discovered might be useful for others: (1) Go to the .obsidian folder inside a vault (attention, this is not the .obsidian folder that rests besides all your vaults folder); (2) make a copy of the folder, delete it and start obsidian; (3) checkout if the app is starting normally; it will recreate the folder .obsidian with the most basic arquives; (4) start replacing/adding the original files one by one to the .obsidian folder, until you find the one causing the problem.

3 Likes

Frontmatter Links seems to have been the culprit for me as well.
Specifically, disabling its “Add to Graph” setting cut down the time launching Obsidian from >15 seconds down to 2 seconds for me.

1 Like

I just uninstalled frontmatter links and Obsidian now starts up normally. Let’s see what’s happens when i set up sync again.

1 Like

More feedback here (but not an explanation or fix). I’m confident this has something to do with syncing.

• Error started when I deleted a folder containing a large number of markdown files (~33,000).
  • I tried all of the above fixes and nothing helped. (sat on “Loading cache…” screen for a very long time)
  • It will eventually load after a few minutes.

Here’s what I tried:

• I store my vault in iCloud so I wondered if deleting that number of files and the syncing could be the problem.
  • I made a copy of all my data and created a new vault on my desktop. Added my data to that new vault and the vault on my desktop loads very quickly. The identical vault on stored in iCloud takes several minutes to load.

So my guess is it has something to do with iCloud and syncing.

Also has anyone submitted this as a bug? I searched for it but didn’t see anything.

Update: After letting this sit for 2ish days, the problem seems to have fixed itself. This makes me even more confident that it’s an iCloud sync issue, especially considering the number of files I was manipulating.

My best guess is iCloud had time to catch up and once it did, all is well again.

I have a very vanilla obsidian install — no sync, no plugins, absolutely the default. I have this problem on Mac — stuck on “Loading cache…”, seemingly indefinitely.

I’ve tried renaming the .obsidian file and that hasn’t fixed the problem.

This is not a particularly big vault, as far as I’m aware — a total of 194 files, 43 of them markdown.

This issue is not related to synch as I don’t use synch. For windows, more than just the regular Cache folder required change to clear the issue.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\obsidian
I renamed the following folders with an _old
Cache
Code Cache
DawnCache
GPUCache
IndexedDB

Once obsidian was started it hung briefly on the “Loading Cache” (my guess, recreating the directories) and then proceeded to “Loading Workspace”.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Just here to say that Frontmatter Links “Add to Graph” was the culprit on my end as well. Unticking that setting sped up load times from two minutes to two seconds.

2 Likes

I am also stuck on ‘Loading Cache’. I do not use Sync. I have a large vault, but it opened in a few seconds just yesterday. Today it is frozen on Loading Cache. I have tried deleting the cache, but that did not help.

I have also tried renaming ‘.obsidian’ to ‘.obsidian.temp’, but I had no success with that method: Obsidian will create a new ‘.obsidian’ folder, without any plugins, snippets or themes, but my window is still stuck on ‘Loading cache’. I am using v.1.1.16.

I tried reinstalling, that also did not help.

At this point, I am simply unable to open Obsidian.

1 Like

100% my experience too. Disable add to graph was the clincher!

1 Like

I never found a solution, but I did find out that if I was patient and waited it out, it would always load properly. Sometimes I had to wait a good 20 min, but the good news is that after that the loading cache thing hardly happened anymore on that particular database.

That is my experience too. But it’s unacceptable in a work environment. I hope someone finds a solution.

Today, after trying several times and not having time to wait an undetermined amount of time, instead of picking one of the recently used vaults from the menu, I chose “Open Vault…” and picked my vault. And it opened immediately. Maybe I got lucky. I’ll try this again when it happens again.

For those still struggling with this issue, who have tried everything in this thread to no avail (as I have), I may have another suggestion. Clear the file snapshot history.

“Settings” > “File Recovery” > “Clear History”
*This will not affect any of the files in your vault, only the snapshots of the files

This cleared the “Loading Cache” hang times for me instantaneously. Hope it helps! Cheers

Edit - you will need to wait through the very long load time before being able to implement this solution

I have had the same problem for about half a year. The loading time of my vault (about 10’000 notes) is getting bigger and bigger with time. I solve the problem by deleting the whole cache directory (in linux under ~/.config), but after two weeks at most, the problem is back. Does anyone have a definitive solution?

1 Like

tried everything. Nothing worked. Except being patient.
If it is because of the volume of data, I think putting a warning / msj for the user is low dev effort and a big win for the user experience. I have litterally lost 2hs of my time. Empathy starts with a transparent communication.