Storing attachments inside vs outside of vault - difference in performance?

Hi, I’ve just started to use Obsidian and I was not able to find an answer to this question. I would like to know if there is a difference in performance if I store the attachments (images, videos, PDFs) inside vs outside of the vault.

If I have a large number of attachments (let’s say 10 000+) and keep them in a folder inside of the vault, I assume that Obsidian has to load all of them and it could cause lagging, slow performance etc.

On the other hand, if I store the attachments in a folder outside of the vault and only link them to my notes using drag-ctrl-drop, it shouldn’t affect the performance, because Obsidian only has to load simple text files.

Are my assumptions correct? Can I avoid lagging and performance issues caused by too many large files if I store the attachments outside of the vault? Or it makes no difference?

Thanks

1 Like

I added with a symlink some 20k files (actually, it is still added but my external drive is not attached).
First time it took a while for Obsidian to have them on board, but that was not the problem.

The problem was when next time I launched Obsidian with the external drive unattached. For some reason, the offloading of the non-existent myriad files made Obsidian very sluggish, to the point of freezing.

I don’t know if I should put the attachment in obsidian

If you put it in obsidian, I worry that obsidian will get slower and slower when there are too many attachments

But if I don’t put it in obsidian, I have to save the attachment to a location that will never change, and then link it to obsidian. In addition, I cannot know which attachments are referenced by obsidian and which attachments are redundant and can be deleted.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.