Splitting pane/window changes the focus of original note

Steps to reproduce

Here is just one example:

1. Scroll through a note
  2. Split a vertical window (this occurs with horizontal but not as frequently)

Expected result

1. Original note location should be retained

Actual result

1. Original note location has been moved (usually to the beginning, sometimes to the end). Sometimes the text of the original note is selected for some reason.

Unexpected behavior with panes makes for a very frustrating UI experience. Another example would be trying to open a note in a new pane when an extra pane (that is unpinned) is open (let’s call this Pane X). Sometimes the note is opened in Pane X or sometimes it creates a new pane altogether–the behavior is unpredictable and inconsistent.

These inconsistencies disrupt the ability for the user to focus and be productive. From a feature standpoint, I think the Obsidian team and users should be very proud and thankful. It’s quite a feat. But the inconsistencies particularly with panes/UI significantly devalue these rich features.

Environment

• Operating system: OSX
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.0

Additional information

I suspect we all vary over priorities. For me, it’s the Android version. I can cope using Android markdown editors, but the linking isn’t the same.

I hear you. I just wanted to raise the issue just to get a pulse on where the other users are so I’m glad to hear your perspective even though it’s different than mine.

fixed in 0.8.2

1 Like