[Feature] Split Down & Split right command for Obsidian Mobile on phone

Use case or problem

I regularly used the split down and split right commands on Obsidian Mobile on my phone, and definitely miss them now that they are gone.

Proposed solution

I’m not sure if it is in bad form to request something that has been intentionally removed, but I definitely would very much appreciate if the split down and split right commands were returned.

31 Likes

I’m going to upvote this one, although I’d much prefer a split right option. I sometimes find it useful to view two notes side by side in landscape orientation on my Max iPhone.

4 Likes

Good point. I will adjust the request. I agree that that is useful. Thanks.

4 Likes

I also would really like to see this feature returned.
Having two panes open at a time on my phone has been central to my workflow, having this removed has been a bummer.

5 Likes

Same here, with sliding panes enabled one was able to swipe between 2 full size panes fast and elegant.
Somebody said somewhere that it would probably be easy to implement this functionality in a plugin. Forgot where I read this.

4 Likes

Count me in. I need this feature

I thought that this was a bug. The options are still there, but isn’t working.

I had to downgrade to use it again

3 Likes

Yes. I use Obsidian on a tablet that easily has enough screen real estate for a quadrant setup with 4 notes open and vissible. It is so helpful for me to have this capability for my workflows. Please bring this functionality back to Android. Sincerest thanks.

2 Likes

agreed, i like the split down on mobile to refer to another note quickly

2 Likes

Please bring back this feature, it was an important part of my workflow as I mainly take notes from my phone. It is sad that it’s gone!

3 Likes

I concur. This feature is essential to my notetaking workflow with the Media Extended plugin. Splitting vertically is handy when in portrait mode on mobile, and splitting horizontally is useful when in landscape mode.

8 Likes

Any progress… I am also looking for this feature…

2 Likes

I can’t find Split buttons in mobile, but using the “Split down” and “Split right” commands in the Command Palette work on my iPad. Not on my iPhone, though.

1 Like

+1, I often use splitting on desktop to work between two or more notes.

My phone (Pixel 6 Pro) is plenty big enough to work with two notes either in portrait (vertical split) or landscape (horizontal split).

Please add this feature!

3 Likes

Yeah, plenty enough space. Would be really useful to have a note (in reading mode) or a PDF in the top pane and continue editing in the bottom pane!

Currently a bit annoying that the current action doesn’t provide any feedback

4 Likes

+1, I am forced to workaround using Android’s native app split which is less than ideal.

I was ecstatic when I saw the options in the command palette… then found myself in this thread!

I agree with the above. Being able to click around in a graph and look at the notes is very productive. I basically have to constantly switch back and forth in the android app.

2 Likes

Trying to understand why it was removed, as seems to have been a major obsidian feature. One which got me on board. And allowed me to migrate from OneNote

1 Like

Considering the immense screen real estate modern phones have and tastes dictate, this seems like a major step back and possible shot in the foot in terms of attracting new users. The whole point of the mobile experience is to increase productivity and make working on such screens as convenient or close to the desktop experience as possible. Imagine using a Galaxy Note and discovering Panes is removed? Obsidian with panes was the only viable privacy focused option on my journey away from the likes of OneNote. Panes should be a core feature for mobile.

If the code implements some dynamic factor such as screen resolution, then the cut off should be just over five inches. Anything above that can readily render split panes side by side.

1 Like

Seems strange this hasn’t been implemented since the code for it is already present in the mobile app for tablets, and it would just have to be enabled for phones. Clearly there are quite a few users who would benefit from it.

+1 Here.

1 Like