Sorting installed plugins

Problem:

Some of us have an obscene amount of plugins easier (honestly sometimes I forget the name).
It will be great if there’s a way to sort the installed community plugins by ‘date installed’ or ‘enabled status’. Currently it is only sorted alphabetically with no other option.

Something right next to the ‘refresh plugin’ button would be really useful

Similar topics:

1. Sort list of Plugins
  2. Plugin names in settings should be sorted as there are quite a few now! - #3 by nickmilo
16 Likes

It would be much easier for me to track down bugs if I could evaluate how many of my “installed” plugins were actually enabled, and more importantly, evaluate them faster for which ones can be turned off during testing… because they’re sorted at the top.

1 Like

@curiosity It would be better to rename the feature request to sorting installed community plugins because the related posts talk about sorting the plugins in the community plugin catalog, which is already implemented.

1 Like

[Mod note — merged from request titled “Sort by enabled”. — @CawlinTeffid ]

Use case or problem

Makes it easier to look for certain plugins if you have a lot of installed ones, but only a few enabled ones.

4 Likes

On the right side of the header “Installed Plugins” under Community Plugins, there could be a button to sort them by name, name reversed, date from old to new, and reverse. This would be convenient if users have lots of plugins and would like to quickly access settings for ones on the lower part of the alphabet, or enable and look at new ones.

There isn’t any workaround I know of for this.

2 Likes

Yes! Especially since we have to move around different sections to enable/disable the plugins, install them, and configure the options. Nice to have a single place where everything could be managed.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please make it easier to find community plugins

I’m very interested in this too.

From time to time I look once again for a solution, but still I haven’t found anything.

I’m so looking forward to this.

1 Like

For the love of all that is good and great, please let us sort by recently installed. Managing plugins without it is giving all of us waking nightmares.

I’m new to Obsidian with only few plugins. Would imagine ability to sort comes in handy once list grows

1 Like

It really would be great.

I do not subscribe by the idea that one should only install as few plugins as possible, for multiple reasons.

• There is an enable and disable function which allows a second level of control over installed/not installed.
  • One reason to install plugins without enabling them is because you know you will want the plugin at a future date but do not want to forget about it. And since browsing community plugins these days could take many hours, it’s one of the only ways to keep track of what’s coming out without missing possibly life-changing functionality.
  • Having said all that, enabling plugins and allowing them to show up in the UI and in interactions with Obsidian acts as a reminder that those features are available. There are literally countless features I would have entirely forgotten about if they didn’t show up all the time. I may have just not had time to explore them yet. I’d rather get used to a little bit of clutter with lots of information before stripping things down as I get used to the features, than start with a stripped down application and never fully discover the potential.
  • I have run into very few bugs with many plugins installed and usually figure out any problems rather quickly.

It’s pretty weird that you can’t sort installed plugins. I count this as basic functionality the team should address before moving to fancier things.

Well, to sort plugins you simply use the search mask and if that’s not enough, you could use the community plugin “quick plugin switcher”

How do you use the search mask to sort plugins by installed date?

Also the quick plugin switcher does not allow you to sort by date so I don’t quite understand the reason for mentioning it here.

Yep. When you have installed a lot of plugins, one would hope to show the enabled plugins first. Different sorting criteria support would be more helpful, and users can suit their own needs. :smiley: