Some way to extract bolded passages from notes?

Does anyone know of a way to extract bolded passages? Dataview would be awesome, I just don’t know how I would do that.

Thanks!

1 Like

Extract Highlights plugin has an option to use bolded passages as well. I’m not sure if it’s what you’re looking for but it will basically copy anything highlighted (and bolded, if you like) to your clipboard. I think it allows you to create a new note with the extracts if you prefer instead.

Hope that’s of some use to you. Although I do wish dataview could be queried to display notes containing certain text instead of relying on fields, or text with certain wrappers like == or **

On that note, why is it no problem for search (and search plugins) to search for text within notes yet Dataview can only display something with a designated field? It’s a strange limitation… users should be able to display search results for note contents in a way that can be embedded. Dataview aught to be able to display notes that include certain text even when not in a field. I don’t know if I’m missing something but if it’s not me, dataview is clearly missing something here.

2 Likes

The Extract Highlights suggestion sounds simplest, but another more complicated option that doesn’t require plugins is to slightly modify List all highlights in document(s) — without community plugins

4 Likes

Wow that is brilliant, worked as intended. Thanks!

I agree, this is brilliant, you rock!
I’m afraid I may need to learn regex now to build my own custom views to include bold and italic :scream:

Let me know if your want a hand. The regex in that post looks super gnarly but half of it is just covering a second style. I tried to break it down in the explanation but it might still sound complicated. Adding or changing to cold or italic should be pretty easy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.