I seem to have found a solution for my syncing problem, and hope this helps someone else.
- Problem: (1) my data is on Dropbox, but Obsidian Mobile only syncs with iCloud, (2) I would like to avoid a setup with multiple vaults as this generates all kinds of problems.
- Setup: I have a “Knowledge base” Obsidian vault spanning my entire Dropbox, and another vault with Kanban & Day planner on iCloud as I use it on iOS. I really only work with the Kanban on the mobile as the screen seems to small for the KB.
- Symlink from iCloud to Dropbox: ln -s “~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~md~obsidian/Documents/My Kanban” “~/Dropbox/My Kanban”
- Symlink from iCloud settings to Dropbox root: “~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~md~obsidian/Documents/My Kanban/.obsidian” “~/Dropbox/.obsidian”
- Obsidian on iOS only sees the iCloud folder, works great
- Obsidian on MacOS sees the .obsidian data in the Dropbox root and does not care about the /My Kanban/.obsidian data.
- Obsidian on iOS and MacOS update the same .obsidian setup, with the same settings / plugins / CSS snippets / Themes, resulting in a single setup.
- Alternative: move all data to iCloud (not ready for that yet as I have a huge free Dropbox allotment)