Sliding Panes (Andy Matuschak Mode) Plugin

@Technoshaman, @death.au I just tested on hd screen of my laptop Thinkpad X220.
In the current version v3.2.1 of the plugin with stacking enabled and Leaf Width set to 700, the limitation is that headers do not step out of the way so at certain number of panes, headers fill the available width of the window and from current pane we see only narrow vertical column, the right portion of the pane being hidden behind headers of other panes. This might be improved so that minimum Leaf Width (to show whole content width) is preserved on the screen and additional headers scroll out of view as it was the case in one of initial CSS-based versions.

Another observation: With increasing number of opened pages, speed of opening another pane decreases. I do not know if it is due to the plugin or due to the Obsidian itself. During experiment I have had 3GB free out of 8GB RAM and SSD disc with Windows 7, Obsidian v0.10.6. With cca 50 panes open, it takes about 5s to open new pane. All panes are in preview mode contain only markdown text without images. Backlink pane was kept hidden, although I did not disable backlinks plugin.

In comparison, when refocusing between two distant panes, the animation, which shows sliding of each intermediate pane, is relatively fast, within 1s.

1 Like

[SOLVED] - described here.

In a dark theme with Andy’s sliding panes it is difficult/impossible to see the mouse cursor when is is on one of the dark note “spines”.

The GIF also shows the cursor is visible in the black, non-spine part of the note.
Is this an issue of the Sliding panes plug-in? If so, is there a way to get the cursor to change color then?

Or is it something else?

@Klaas I do not have this issue. But I use in Windows 7 → Mouse Properties → Pointers → Scheme → Windows Inverted (extra large) (system scheme)
With that, cursor usually changes color so that it is in contrast with it’s background.

@malecjan: thanks for that. I am on macOS and unfortunately there isn’t such a thing.

On macOS, my I-beam is white, although it’s less than the spine width, so I would like it larger for my poor eyesight. It is almost impossible to see a black I-beam on a dark spine, as per your example. Rather than change the I-beam color system-wide, a CSS tweak would be ideal. I am using the amazing theme ia_obsidian by @rcvd , so it may be different for you.

@oxysmart: I resolved it - see here, it might be useful for you too.

1 Like

That was easy. Thanks :partying_face: It looks great on ia_obsidian theme too.

@oxysmart: I use the even more amazing Blue Topaz, albeit customized.

1 Like

Even more amazing, hmmm.
I like it, but I would like to increase the size of all the fonts and get some high contrast in the dark mode. Is that possible?

@oxysmart: yes, it is possible - see my reply in snip-a-note on the Discord channel.

1 Like

I am having issues when I toggle the plugin on/off: The windows and panes seem to be mixed up, specifically the right hand sidebar closes itself and you cannot turn it back on. Am I doing something wrong?

Can you please add a hotkey for switching between panes? Like what tab buttons does for windows

@Archie: Obsidian’s built-in hotkeys for Focus on pane to the left and Focus on pane to the right also work for switching between the sliding panes of this plugin. Just go to Settings->Hotkeys and set them to whatever specific keyboard shortcuts you want.

2 Likes

Thanks, problem solved

Is there a way to get the sliding panes to work with files in Editor mode? So far, I’m only able to do it by Ctrl+click in preview mode.

@trydalch: it has always worked like that. Maybe uninstall/reinstall ?

Mac OS 11.2.1
Obsidian 0.11.0

this is not working at all! I expected it would work/act like the published version, but so far nothing happens. I Cmd+Click and the link opens in a right-hand panel that is halfway off the screen. I can not scroll horizontally, nor get a full view of the new panel. None of the headers are rotated.

So - @death.au - what am I doing wrong?

[edited for clarity]

To add to this - I turned off all plugins except this one. I opened five notes. Each note got a column, none of them overlapped, none of the headers became vertical spines. Here’s a screenshot w/ 3 notes open.

It’s nothing to do with macOS, as we are on the same. Try Settings / Community Plugins / Andy Mode and disable and re-enable the plugin. That’s all I can think of.

Nope, nada. I also do not get a horizontal scroll bar. Something is pretty borked. :frowning:

Tried under a few different themes including default :man_shrugging: