Sliding Panes (Andy Matuschak Mode) Plugin

@AND : Good ideas! I love using the sliding panes sometimes and very much appreciate it as is. But your post gave me the idea to try to create a font with characters rotated 90 degrees clockwise. It could be installed into system fonts then defined to be used only for these vertical note titles via a css snippet. Maybe it already exists.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, all, I’m new to Obsidian. My current Obsidian version is v0.12.10, and my Sliding Panes version is v3.2.3. I think this version doesn’t work with Obsidian, I couldn’t slide anything. And also, when I toggle on sliding panes and rotated headers, nothing happens. The header is still at the top. Has anyone experienced this ?

3 Likes

Hi, I am a but confused, if this is not possible, or if I configured something wrong.

If I pin a tab, I don’t want the sliding panes to “slide over” that pinned tab, but stack on the relative side? Is that possible? :slight_smile:

I really wanted this and found that if I click and drag left-or-right using my scroll wheel on my mouse it does it beautifully :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but I’m using v0.12.19 and just installed this plugin and it doesn’t seem to be working as shown the animated gif(s).
The “stacking” doesn’t seem to be present (even though that button is toggled) and I checked that the “Toggle Sliding Panes” switch for this plugin is enabled.
I was quite excited at first because this was one of the things about Obsidian that really caught my eye but now it’s not working. : /
Thanks in advance for any advice …

1 Like

Is it possible to do this?

I would like to split sliding panes horizontally with Andy Mode. I have seen it in some YouTube videos and someone here said it was previously possible. Unfortunately enabling the sliding panes messes up the screen if split panes are present. If trying to split a pane when Andy mode is already enabled it does the split but hides the panes.

Does the developer read this forum? I think making a bug report or feature request in GitHub would be a good way to alert them, but I don’t have account yet and it seems a bit involved.

1 Like

Looking forward for splitting horizontally, not sure if it is already possible, but when I try this while having opened several panes I get really strange behavior, some of them disappear until I close my opened ones

1 Like

Question: Is it possible to have a feature to toggle the requirement for ctrl+click to open it new pane while in preview mode?. For eg: Single click will open it new pane, while ctrl click will open it same pane?

Enjoying this plugin and have used it over a year. Currently, (v0.14.5) with Sliding Panes (3.2.3) I can use about 12 open panes then the panes start breaking down (eg no content visible anymore, vertical titles disappearing, text overlays on half of the pane). The theme doesn’t seem to be the issue as the symptoms occur also with the default theme. Up to 10-12 panes everything works flawless. I’m under the impression that I could use more panes a little while ago (I have workspaces with 15+ panes.) Can’t exclude interaction with other pugins (i’m using 30). Just curious: do other user have issues beyond say 12 panes?

Not here :slight_smile:
I use the “full width” option, with the stack option. I have opened 20 panes for the test. Minimal Theme with css tweaks, with 10 non-native plugins. I use Obsidian on PC with 16go RAM. Live preview and there with pictures, works fine :

@Naya Thanks for your response. I’ve disabled and re-enabled my plug-ins in batches and the issue has disappeared. I can’t exactly say which one it was but the 21 I re-installed after the purge seem fine. I have a test workspace with a ridiculous 27 panes working just fine (Minimal).
You’re feedback encouraged me to whittle down the issue and not assume general limitations of Sliding Panes. (I’m using similar settings as yours and work on the latest macOS / 32 GB RAM). Do you by any chance use the recent plugin Hover Editor?

No, I don’t use it :slight_smile: Maybe testing on plugin after the other would help to solve the issue. It could be a freeze of the GPU process due to overlapping plugins as the pane mode changes the UI. For my limited use of plugin, it is very stable. I sometimes make a little purge of memory cache as well.

@Naya: merci pour ton aide. Have sorted through the possible permutations of my plugins – Sliding Panes is fine with all of them save one. Have left a comment on Github to the dev of the wonderful Hover Editor.

3 Likes

This is a really great idea! I’d like to see the titles rotated when they are switched from the active to the inactive.

2 Likes

greetings!

I have been having issues with “stacking” in Sliding Panes. whenever, I open a new note in a new pane, it does not open properly. the gif will illustrate the problem better. - tried reinstalling the sliding pane plugin, disabled all other community plugins & also, disabled css-snippets.

here is video of the issue Discord

appreciate any advice/pointers. thank you

Regards,
M

1 Like

+1

I’m also experiencing issues with Sliding Panes since a few days. Sometimes it’s working, sometimes not.

Issues:

• Opened notes don’t appear visually on the screen (however, I can manipulate and close them with keyboard, which is super dangerous!).
  • Multiple times I’ve ended up with an empty area to the right of my window.
  • Cycling through the panes sometimes does not shift them enough to see the full content. They will be active, but (partly) hidden behind the other panes.

I’ve experiencing this with “Blue Topas” as well as with “Vileplume”. But I think the instability is deeper and not related to the Templates.

Thank you!

I’ve just managed to reproduce the issues described in the previous post and made some screen recordings: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

• Issue #3 (hidden panes) happens always when I use Obsidian on half of the screen.
  • Issue #1 and #2 (invisible panes and empty area) happened after using the plug-in command Pane relief: Swap pane with previous in split. As far as I can tell the two plugins could be combined without issues in the past.

I am on a Linux Fedora 36 with KDE. All issues also appear with the Obsidian standard Theme and all CSS turned off.

EDIT: the invisible pane issue just appeared in an Obsidian session without ever swapping panes. So it may help to trigger the issue, but inconsistency between the apps seems not to be the source of the problem, I believe.

I haven’t used Obsidian for a while, and as a consequence, I forgot how to create a sliding pane. Would somebody care to answer this newbie-again question? (I do have the plugin installed.)

Hi Technoshaman !
A lot has changed recently with version 0.16. Sliding panes in particular have been integrated as a standard feature, combined with tabs → Stacked tabs - Obsidian Help. You can safely uninstal the late “sliding panes” plugin !
Enjoy life.
Olivier :-{)

1 Like