Single todo file implementation

I want to test out a one big text-file implementation for my todo list. However, I want to implement it utilising Markdown and Obsidian and inspired by features from this Org Mode tutorial.

Essentially, I would like:

• Each day to be represented by a togglable bullet-point.
  • Nested in each day’s toggle would be my list of check-boxed tasks for the day.
  • A task can have three states:
    • to-do (not checked)
    • done (checked)
    • waiting

As an example:

• 2022-03-23 should be a toggle
    • [x] Email Bob about plans done
    • [ ] Research Agile working to-do
    • [ ] Do code review waiting, should be red and a toggle
      • Waiting on John to give me access to the code

Pressing enter repeatedly after the last task until I’m back out of the nested task list should create a bullet point for the next date. Then, at the end of the day, I can use keyboard shortcuts to move any task still in the to-do / waiting states into the tasks list for the next day.

I’m unsure how best to represent a ‘waiting’ task. Maybe, a hot-key that would the change task’s text color to red, change the check-box to a toggle, and create a nested check-box within the task where I could write the reason the task is currently stalled.

Does anyone know how:

1. I could could automate creating toggles with dates (e.g. like how a numbered list is automated every time you press enter, except here it would create a toggle and populate it with the next date).
  2. How to implement the ‘waiting’ functionality described above.

Any suggestions about this in general would also be really appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.