Render text in Outline pane instead of showing the raw markdown (reading mode rendering)

Use case or problem

I would like to use links in my headings, which isn’t a problem in of itself.
But when using the outline plugin, the full link is displayed in markdown format giving a more bloated outline than was intended

Proposed solution

When a url link is detected in a heading, only display the square bracket content
### [ Heading title ] ( link I want ignored by the outline plugin)

Current workaround (optional)

Guess I can post a link right below the heading.

Related feature requests (optional)

Example:

obsidian_outline_example

4 Likes

+1 to the feature request.

I’d like to suggest to take it a step further and handle stripping out all markdown syntax from the outline.

e.g. I often end up with notes with outlines like

[[Installing Python on macOS]]
    macOS 11 workaround
    Details
    [Rationale or other things not to do](https://opensource.com/article/19/5/python-3-default-mac)
   `python -m pip` or Don't run `pip` as a tool

Any markdown syntax (wiki-link, web link, inline code, emphasis / italic) become distracting in the outline view

1 Like

Judging by the discussion here
Render links in Outline plugin like in preview mode (0.8.1) it would seem like @ryanjamurphy is trying to consolidate this feature request into Show Preview-rendered text instead of Edit-rendered text in the Outline ?

Other related requests

5 Likes

+1
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Adding one more vote for this :smiley:

+1, this would be really great (and in Publish also).

Does anyone have a solution?

Use case or problem

Ease of reading the outline pane when headings include links or other markdown formatting.

How outline pane looks now

Proposed solution

Convert markdown to normal text in outline pane.

Current workaround (optional)

Not using markdown.

Related feature requests (optional)

I’m not sure if this adds to the weight of attention, but this is my most desired feature. +1

@patch : for more weight add your upvote to the OP at the top of this page.

1 Like

Without this feature, I have to link things below the heading and introduce a bit of mess. +1

I also would really like this feature to be implemented. Currently, there is just too much clutter and the outline with the types of names, links and styles I use is almost unusable.

I agree with this request but would like the outline to still render comments. I use comment-only headings to mark scenes in fiction so I can see the overview in the outline (and so I can fold the sections).

Example: ## <!--5. Franz tells how his injury happened.-->

I like having the markup for them in the outline so I know they’re comments, but it’s not crucial — the text is what matters.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a header/subheader with a character that needs to be escaped (example: ## Something \*).
  2. Look at the outline.

Expected result

The name of the header/subheader in the outline should be Example *.

Actual result

The name of the header/subheader in the outline is Example \*.

Environment

• Operating system: elementary OS 5.1.7 Hera
  • Obsidian version: v0.9.20

Additional information

N/A

1 Like

+1
Would be awesome

+1 Agree

+1 :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@shuojie Please make sure you upvoted the original post at the top of this page.

2 Likes

I wrote a plugin to fix this, maybe use it as a workaround before official implementation:

10 Likes