Should Strict Line Break Setting affect Callouts?

Steps to reproduce

1. Enable Strict Line breaks in the settings
  2. Write a simple callout with a title and some content.
  3. Enter Reading Mode

Can be reproduced in the Help Vault.

Expected result

A Callout rendered properly like shown in the docs.

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system:
macOS 12.2.1
Obsidian 0.14.2
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.14.2
	Installer version: v0.14.2
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.3.0: Wed Jan  5 21:37:58 PST 2022; root:xnu-8019.80.24~20/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.3.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: off
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: Shimmering Focus
	Snippets enabled: 3
	Safe mode: off
	Plugins installed: 51
	Plugins enabled: 51

(leaving the plugin list out for brevity, since it can be reproduced in the help vault)

Additional information

In my view, strict line breaks should only affect the flow of paragraphs, not change how callouts render.

7 Likes

Ok I understand. I am not sure I consider this a bug.

Moved to FR.

I agree with the OP that enabling strict line breaks should not “break” rendering of callout titles.

For the moment I would use the following syntax:

> [!NOTE] foobar
>
> hello world

I think this should work regardless of the strict line breaks settings.

3 Likes

I get where you are coming from, but I honestly perceive this to be a bug rather than a Feature Request.

When you look at how callouts are displayed in Source Mode, the visual differentiation between the first line and the second implicates they carry different meaning. When you switch to Reading Mode, however, they are “merged” into one element. So regarding the visual presentation, two elements became one element.

Strict Line Breaks should affect only the flow of the paragraphs, but not the meaning of content. When you have a folding callout with two blocks, it becomes even worse, since in one case, there is content hidden by the fold, in the other case, there is nothing to unfold.

Even more, when you copypaste the example callout from the docs and have Strict Line Breaks enabled, it will not render the same way as in the docs, even in the help vault.

Another problem that arises from Strict Line Breaks affecting callout-rendering is that it also reduces portability of the notes. Before the callout update, I could simply copypaste a note to share it with someone else, and only the visual presentation changes. But when I have callouts in my notes, I have to tell the other person to use the same Strict Line Breaks setting as me to have the callouts render properly.

All in all, I would ask you to maybe re-consider and regard this post as a bug report and not a feature request.

1 Like

I agree that Strict Line Breaks should not affect callout titles. Here’s why.

# Title
I am some content.

> [!note] Title
> I am some content.

I consider the semantic meaning of callout titles to be similar to headings, they both give the reader an idea of what content is to follow. Yet headings do not respect the Strict Line Breaks rule and callout titles do.

3 Likes

I have the same request/bug report.

2 Likes

IMHO , Strict Line Breaks should be consistently applied over the file. This is how it’s working today when it’s enabled:

> line 1
> line 2

> line 1
> 
> line 2

> [!note] line 1
> line 2

> [!note] line 1
> 
> line 2

Don’t get me wrong. Callouts are great, but they shouldn’t override the underlying format markdown definitions they are based on.

will be changed 0.14.8

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.