Server companion

I love the fact that Obsidian is “local first”, private and secure. But I also miss some features that come from having it connected to an always-on web service. It’s not that I want a web interface to all my notes, because that would mean putting all my notes online which I don’t want to do. But I do want to do some things that require an interconnected system.

I have a very rough version working already that integrates with a web server application. I am wondering if there is much interest from other people? If so I can develop it further and make it available more widely.

Some things it can or could do:

1. Integrate with services like IFTTT, Zapier, etc. Use all the services they offer to push information into notes.

2. Add features like “Share this note” (I don’t want to publish a load of notes, just occasionally share the content of a note with a couple of people; and I don’t want them to have to sign up or download anything, I just want to send them a URL and for them to be able to browser to it and see my note. Evernote does this well)

3. Create or add a note by sending an email to [email protected].

4. HTTP webooks to create notes or add to existing ones.

If these sort of things were available would you use them? And if you didn’t go the self hosted route for the server, would you pay a couple of bucks a month for someone else to host it?

3 Likes