Self-Hosted Sync Server

Platform

[x] iOS
[x] Android
[x] Desktop

I don’t trust any servers with my note data and prefer to have them offline. However, Syncthing cannot sync with iOS devices because of that stupid sandboxing–or rather, because there’s no way to make a local folder sync on an iOS/iPadOS device (if you know how to do this I’d highly appreciate for your advice!).

Therefore, I’d like to ask for a feature in Sync that will allow for private synchronisation between Obsidian devices. It shouldn’t be too hard, you just point to the IP of the server and it works thereon.

The Sync feature will remain paid, of course.

2 Likes

There isn’t much of an issue with trust because the notes are end-to-end encrypted. That is, the notes are stored on server encrypted and you have the key.

However, this FR may have other use cases, especially for businesses. In that case, even the pricing model might be different.
Let’s keep the FR open and see where it goes.

Hey @WhiteNoise,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the issue is a somewhat attenuated with P2P encryption, but I still don’t trust any servers with having my notes even when encrypted. I’d rather have them on my device only.

To be fair & clear, this is not distrust placed in Obsidian creators, but in anyone else that might possibly have an access to the encrypted note data–illegally or otherwise.

Maybe I should open a new FR for a new option to delete server data after sync is done?