Select with Shift+home and Shift+end

Steps to reproduce

So, enter text multiple lines length without linebreaks;
Put cursor at middle of any of these lines.
Shift+home and Shift+end

Expected result

Both should have same result with different half of line or whole text:

1. “Home” should select from line start to cursor and “End” same with end of line
    OR
  2. “Home” select from start of this text and “End” to end of this text

Actual result

Mixed behavior. Home select to begin of line and End select to end of text

Environment

Win10x64 19043.985, Obsidian 0.12.10 in help vault.

Additional information

I like suggestion in topic above. And would be good solution for Home also.

Press End once to go to the end of the soft wrap, press End again to go to the real end of the line. I think this could be a good solution for this as well.

3 Likes

This is borderline a feature request.

Well suggestion is maybe feature request, but mixed behavior of same function (select) but with different direction is bug, imo.

2 Likes

I don’t understand completely this thread, but I might have a similar problem. Please let me know if I should start a new topic for this, if this happens to be a different thing. Right now I’m just posting to this topic because I feel this might be the same thing.

1. I have a paragraph that soft-wraps to multiple lines in the editor. See the screenshot below.
  2. I move the cursor to the beginning of the first ipsum word, for example.
  3. I hit Shift + End. Obsidian selects the rest of the paragraph, instead of just the rest of the current line:
    kuva

This is what Shift + End should do in my opinion:
kuva

Side notes:

• Pressing just End goes correctly to the end of the line, not to the end of the paragraph.
  • Moving to a few lines below and pressing Shift + Home works correctly, it selects the beginning of the line:
    kuva

My environment: Windows 10 with Obsidian 0.12.12. This also happened on Obsidian 0.12.10 (the version that @Ellanxis had).

1 Like

It’s an internal inconsistency within Obsidian and a deviation from standard text editor behavior. I think it qualifies as a bug, rather than a design choice.

Would love to see this addressed. I see this as an accessibility issue.

In addition to simply improving the app and making it more internally consistent, addressing this will make the application more accessible for those of us who must use Obsidian via dictation.

Dictation users depend heavily upon key combinations like shift + home and shift + end to select and manipulate text.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Select with Shift+End until the end of paragraph

I am gonna mark this fixed and move the bug of the new editor in a separate thread…

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.