Select with Shift+End until the end of paragraph

There is strange behavior when selecting a block/paragraph (a single line of text that wraps around multiple psuedo-lines), using the shift+home/end hotkeys.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a note with wrapping text and long paragraphs.
  2. Put cursor in the middle of a paragraph
  3. Press shift+home or shife+end
  4. You will select to the beginning or end of the line.
  5. Press shift+home/end again.

Expected result

I expect the 2nd keypress of shift+home to select to the beginning of the block.

I expect the 2nd keypress of shift+end to select to the end of the block.

Actual result

This 2nd press will yield different results depending on which direction you are going.

If you press shift+home twice, then you will select all the way to the beginning of the block, as expected. This is standard behavior for most code editors.

However, if you press shift+end twice, then you will instead select to the end of the next psuedo-line.

Expected behavior is for shift + end to select to the end of the block, which is internally consistent with the behavior of the shift + home hotkey in Obsidian and which is standard behavior for most code editors.

Environment

• Operating system:

Windows 10. Others on Mac report similar behavior.

• Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.13.14
Installer version: v0.10.8
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Update installer: installer version too low, please download from Download - Obsidian and reinstall.

I am gonna mark this fixed and move the bug of the new editor in a separate thread…

@WhiteNoise does this mean that this bug will be fixed only for new editor? And more general question: Where can I read your plans about legacy editor? Because I use it instead new WYSIWYG.

The legacy editor will be removed at some point. If you don’t like WYSIWYG, you can use the new editor in source mode.

1 Like

This will be fixed in 0.13.25

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.