Select multiple notes/folders from the file explorer to drag and drop

When I tested it the backlinks were retained.

That’s on Windows, but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be the same with the other OSs.

You are likely using Shortest Path When Possible, in which case it would usually continue to work.

This assumption breaks if you have any links to notes with conflicting names in different folders, or are using a full path link setting in your prefs or have any existing links with full paths written.

Since I work with files I expect my file names to be unique; UIDs matter. Database systems create their own and hide them; files push the onus onto the user.

I prefer shortest path, but found backlinks working with any path preference when I tested. Surprised me a bit, and I can’t say whether that was a one off since I don’t usually use those settings.

I never manually write full paths into notes because it introduces a rigidity that easily breaks things.

Today, a couple of us in the general discord forum were talking about being able to ‘bulk’ move notes in the sidebar without having to do it in the vault system file. @cotemaxime did say they’d kindly get on it when doing some updates to the sidebar which I will patiently wait for.

Thank you @cotemaxime

@elmsfeuer

2 Likes

I’m going to chime on on this feature request. @joshuawilliam described it well. I’ve asked about this in DISCORD community. It’s a UI behavior for file management that we’re all so familiar with on the Mac and Windows. Often I’m writing and just crafting ideas at a fast pace. Over time I realize folders are needed for grouping and then certain files need to moved around for better organization. it’s part of the creation process.

Thanks for Listening.
Tom Austin TX

1 Like

This will be available in v0.10.0

5 Likes

Is it documented anywhere how to do this?
I’m on 0.11.13. I was trying to move all the note files with a certain tag to a folder and couldn’t figure out how to do it. I was only able to select one note at a time.

press shift+click?

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t solve my problem.
That selects from item A to item B. What I want to do is to select several items at abitrary positions (i.e. what is commonly achieved through ctr+click).

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s not yet implemented. I think you can open more specific feature request, since this request have been archived.

For work around. I think you can use windows explorer.

2 Likes

Moving files in explorer will not update links.

2 Likes

I think links still works, if you use relative link in link and files settings.

I’ve figured out, that Alt+click is working just as you described — you can select multiple files from the file explorer and drag them to create links at once!

4 Likes

Alt + Click does not work for me - or several other things I tried.

+1 multiple file select for ease of moving

1 Like

hmm, it should. What version of Obsidian (including the installer version), and what OS are you using?

Okay, alt + click does work (v1.12.15 win10). I think I was unconsciously clicking Ctrl + click instead.

Sorry to be back and forth with my answers. I CAN select multiple items from the file navigation. I CANNOT select multiple files from Search (which would be very useful).

4 Likes

That would need to be a new feature request if you want it considered.

Do check out this semi-related thread. Unified files and search view There is a good point in there from argentum: The search doesn’t just return files and folders. It also searches content. And it can show multiple items from one single file. So selecting multiple search elements may or may not be as straight-forward as in the file view.

1 Like

That’s a good point about the search results consisting of both files and content. A lot of programs do search both and make the files themselves selectable, but they have other downsides.

I’m still working on adjusting my workflow to Obsidian from EN. I’m doing pretty well with new info, but finding old info I’ve imported isn’t always so smooth.

2 Likes