I’m just completing my first semester of my first undergrad degree.
One thing I have been doing is building my own chemistry & medical glossaries. I realise this is kind of redundant as I have added medical terms to my mac’s dictionary app but I found it handy to be able to use a block reference link to the term in the glossary from my note so I could refresh my memory if needed, without involving another app or navigating away.
Two things I have grown to dislike about this:
- it’s kinda time-consuming to open the glossary, navigate to the alphabetical-ordered space in the note for the new term, enter the new term & it’s meaning with a little formatting, go back to the original note and then link to the block reference.
- I have no way of distinguishing in my notes which links are to other notes and which are to glossary entries.
So, I had an idea to make the definitions more explicit in my notes, perhaps using the new callout feature.
a polyol compound of oxygen & hydrogen
Then I had the idea to somehow use inline metadata to create the definition, like;
Definition:: Glycerol - a polyol compound of oxygen & hydrogen
and then see if I could get Dataview to collect all the definitions scattered throughout my notes & render them on a page, in a list or table;
Glycerol - a polyol compound of oxygen & hydrogen
So I would have a dynamically updating glossary, that could possibly be segmented by tags #chemistry #medical #practise etc
But, I haven’t used inline Dataview before & while I can return a list of notes that contain Definition:: in them I haven’t been able to return a list of the values of the definitions.
I’d love to hear some opinions from the community about this. End of semester 1 is an opportunity to evolve my workflow & do any refactoring needed before the vault gets too large.