Search option for "link:" to popup suggestion modal similar to "tag:" and "path:"

Use case or problem

I LOVE how in search if you do “path:” or “tag:” that a popup comes up that you can select from. So you don’t have to do a blind plain text search guessing what the values are (see GIF at bottom of post). Is there any way you can add a “link:” (don’t care what name) where it then pops up the suggestions modal to search page names? So then you select one which would insert into the search [[page name]] for you.

It solves two problems:

1. don’t have to memorize your page names you are searching for
  2. adds the [[ and ]] which then specifies in search you want the actual page name link found in results as opposed to just plain text match of “page name”.

Proposed solution

Add a “link:” (don’t care what name) just like “path:” and “tag:”, where it then pops up the suggestions modal to search page names. So then you select one which would insert into the search [[page name]] for you.

Current workaround (optional)

None. Manual type and remember page names and hope and pray :wink:

Related feature requests (optional)

Supporting Details (GIF)

Obs Search - Add link suggestion modal-output

8 Likes

Here is more detail in Discord channel: Discord

From our discord discussion a few key other notes:

@argentum :

So you want something like mentions: ? You get that by typing [[page name]], but there is no autocompletion as you mentioned

@smurfman111 :

Yep @argentum you are correct.

Also to be clear, the main thing I want is the modal to pop up to help find the page you want (auto complete) and enter into the search as [[page name link]]. I don’t care if mentions: actually stays in there or not. Really mentions: OR link: (or whatever it is called) would just be a “trigger” to open the fuzzy search suggestion modal for [[page name link]].

So really what may be a fine solution is that simply doing [[ in the search will pop up the page name / mentions suggestion modal just like when you are typing in a note. That is all I really want.

2 Likes

I’d love too to see more suggestions. For ex: I’m using status tags:
#status/0-draft , #status/1-edited, #status/2-published
When I do a search, I’d like to type: tag:#status/ and the potential existing tags would be suggested.
(Useful when we forget what was the tag for status 2 ? Was it « #status/2-published or #status/2-finished +.
Also would be nice to do same search with part of tag word (ex: tag:publish to find any tag containing publish