Save Node Positions in Graph View (Edit and Preview Toggle)

The graph plugin feels more like a toy now, ability to pin a core nodes will make it a valuable tool.

2 Likes

+1. Juggl plugin has this but the graph view is not smooth like obsidian´s. Please implement this at least to certain nodes. :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

me too. i want fixed position nodes. i hate moving nodes.
htis is importent for me . 1 Because i cant find my nodes.
2 Nodes is in mess.entwined with each other .
3 I can place better .

Lots of people want this. please do this.

+1. If permanently fixing a node is not practical, it would also be helpful if the graph position is stored in background, so that the graph only changes when obsidian is re-opened

1 Like

I agree. the graph view was the main feature that drew me to OB’s and having the state change every time i reload is a puzzling experience that leaves me searching in frustration for nodes or trying to organize the nodes, but i will not be able to do that when having a larger amount of nodes :frowning:

1 Like

Yes! I am with you guys.

There is actually a way to do this in Obsidian.
Download a community Plugin called “Persistent Graph”.
You can save the graph node locations by using the hotkey save function.

It works as of now!

4 Likes

Thanks for telling about that plugin. I’m really glad it exists.
I wish it would kick in right away, instead of restoring the position after a couple of seconds of graph doing it’s thing, but it’s definitely what I and many people in this thread want.

Thanks for the info about the plugin!
I found it online, but I am unfortunately not tech-savvy enough to know how to download and install it. Any tips?

+1

Can we get any comments on this from the team?

As others have said:

• Resetting the graph all the time does not make any sense, if the idea of the graph is to help organizing thoughts
  • Right now graph view feels more like a gimmick than something actually usable
  • Feels as if it should be kind of a priority?
  • This might be one missing feature that will make me start looking for alternatives, especially since this thread is two years old… Oh well, at least my data is in markdown…

Exactly what this person said!

A feature along these lines is necessary to take the graph from novelty to necessary.

I’d say a good initial implementation would be to use (say) a ctrl-click on a node to pin it in that place, and then store it as a polar coordinate. This would allow some key nodes to be fixed in place, without having to have the graph be deterministic (a huge headache in such a fluid environment)-- it would probably also make implementation easier. Heck-- y’could even store the graph-coords in the frontmatter of the note itself.

1 Like

+1
Good idea

HMMMMM THAT would be SO GREAT
+1 but on my opinion +22222222 bilions hahhahaha

I support this, it will be very useful

That would be really cool, graph view is awesome, the constant change of nodes position is really the most confusing thing for people who use exclusive graph view as the main workflow.

Just a quick question. All of those posting in this thread, have you used the plugin referenced above? It does seem to do what you want. If not, what’s missing?

Testing right now, thanks for the reminder but I find the plugin not working as expected at least in my case, the nodes still change position. The sign “Automatically restored node positions” pop out but the nodes still change the position (also restarting Obsidian). Would be cool to have this native function in Obsidian, hope someone of the could read this thread.

I’m not the plugin author (if only I had such skill!) but perhaps I can help. Did you drag a few nodes to new positions and then run the save node command? What about running the restore nodes command. If so and it’s still not putting those nodes back then perhaps raise an issue with the author at

It’s certainly been working for me on Windows for quite a while.

4 Likes

You are right, after some time looking I find the command, it take some time like 5 seconds but works really well across all the devices. Thank you for your recomendation.

1 Like

+1 definitely a useful feature

2 Likes

+1

I would also really appreciate this feature!