Obsidian Run in Portable Mode?

18 posts were split to a new topic: Portable Version Instructions by AlanG

+1 on this if a web version included in sync is not implemented. An official portable install seems like a less labour intensive thing to allow for similar use cases as described by several users in this thread.

1 Like

+1
I need a portable version on my device

+1 for this.

I was able to install obsidian on a work computer in the past when I had admin permissions, but I no longer have them. I’m concerned I’ll lose access if my installer can no longer update the app, the computer has an issue requiring a rebuild, or I get a new machine. I really love what I’ve set up with obsidian, but this limitation makes me question if I should continue investing time into it.

4 Likes

I do hope a portable install will be available soon. It just makes sense.

5 Likes

I’m adding my support for a portable version. Hopefully the devs will consider it at some point!

1 Like

+1(000) to this, please implement this.

The existing solutions above are not really passable. The main point of a portable app is not just that it doesn’t need an install - an installed Obsidian program folder can already be just copied and it would work - but that everything the app needs, all the stored user data (/AppData/Roaming/) can reside in the same folder (or even better, at a path of the user choosing).

This wouldn’t require much effort. Most popular community Electron apps offer portable versions.

4 Likes

Links to third party redistributions/packages of Obsidian have been removed from forum because we do not endorse them.

Two methods to create portable versions have been spun off in separate threads:

Portable Version Instruction by Royi

Portable Version Instructions by AlanG

1 Like

An official release of a Portable distribution would be amazing. Even better if it is integrated within PortableApps

6 Likes

I would like that

1 Like

I need it also !

1 Like

+1, installing without admin would be just great!!

You can, you simply treat the installer like any other archive format (zip, 7z, etc). You can use a library like 7zip to unpack the installer, then unpack the $PLUGINSDIR\app-64.7z resource. That gives you the stock obsidian install that’s usually located at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Obsidian, just without the registry changes that the installer normally does.

1 Like

+1, why is this not a thing yet

3 Likes

We need a portable version of Obsidian to be used at the office. Current installation requires admin right which is an IT request nightmare.

2 Likes

@a1man There are instructions right here. It takes 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Thanks Pamela I was just looking for it and u just post it, Its destiny haha

FYI @Papela you will get told off by the team for distributing binaries, same as my Github repo did:

1 Like

It would be nice if the developers actually IMPLEMENTED this 2 year old request and stop making assumptions on where the end-users want the software to live.

3 Likes

I’m still waiting…

1 Like