Obsidian Run in Portable Mode?

if it’s pricing issue, I am happy to pay for my portable version. i would so love this, to be able to use obsidian without admin. it would be great to understand why this is not being pursued, just so to understand if at some point i can use obsidian more widely (which i’d like) or if i need to look for other solutions alltogether. thanks!

1 Like

+1 for portable, for the same reason (locked up devices)

This is strange.

After working at first (but maybe I did something else, really) the launcher.bat ends with “can’t find Obsidian.exe”

At first I thought I set the shortcut wrong, but it does the same when starting it directly on the drive.

Win10, no admin rights.

After I ran the launcher.bat, it stopped working for me, as well.

At that point, I dug into the Obsidian folders on the USB drive to find Obsidian.exe. Then I created a shortcut, which I copied to the main directory on the drive. It runs like a top for me now…no need to run the launcher.bat every time. (It appears that the requisite folders are all created in that first instance of running it.)

1 Like

22 posts were split to a new topic: Portable Version Instruction by Royi

18 posts were split to a new topic: Portable Version Instructions by AlanG

+1 on this if a web version included in sync is not implemented. An official portable install seems like a less labour intensive thing to allow for similar use cases as described by several users in this thread.

1 Like

+1
I need a portable version on my device

+1 for this.

I was able to install obsidian on a work computer in the past when I had admin permissions, but I no longer have them. I’m concerned I’ll lose access if my installer can no longer update the app, the computer has an issue requiring a rebuild, or I get a new machine. I really love what I’ve set up with obsidian, but this limitation makes me question if I should continue investing time into it.

4 Likes

I do hope a portable install will be available soon. It just makes sense.

5 Likes

I’m adding my support for a portable version. Hopefully the devs will consider it at some point!

1 Like

+1(000) to this, please implement this.

The existing solutions above are not really passable. The main point of a portable app is not just that it doesn’t need an install - an installed Obsidian program folder can already be just copied and it would work - but that everything the app needs, all the stored user data (/AppData/Roaming/) can reside in the same folder (or even better, at a path of the user choosing).

This wouldn’t require much effort. Most popular community Electron apps offer portable versions.

4 Likes

Links to third party redistributions/packages of Obsidian have been removed from forum because we do not endorse them.

Two methods to create portable versions have been spun off in separate threads:

Portable Version Instruction by Royi

Portable Version Instructions by AlanG

1 Like

An official release of a Portable distribution would be amazing. Even better if it is integrated within PortableApps

6 Likes

I would like that

1 Like

I need it also !

1 Like

+1, installing without admin would be just great!!

You can, you simply treat the installer like any other archive format (zip, 7z, etc). You can use a library like 7zip to unpack the installer, then unpack the $PLUGINSDIR\app-64.7z resource. That gives you the stock obsidian install that’s usually located at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Obsidian, just without the registry changes that the installer normally does.

1 Like

+1, why is this not a thing yet

3 Likes

We need a portable version of Obsidian to be used at the office. Current installation requires admin right which is an IT request nightmare.

2 Likes