Obsidian Run in Portable Mode?

Can Obsidian be installed and run in portable mode – that is, without needing Administrator privileges because the program doesn’t modify the system or its configuration?

Thanks.

105 Likes

I need this also – no admin privileges on work computer.

11 Likes

I also need portable mode.

9 Likes

+1 for portable mode.

5 Likes

Portable Obsidian please…

… So I can use it from a pendrive.

9 Likes

I’d like to add my voice to requesting this. I don’t know why Obsidian needs more permissions than a local folder, especially since it isn’t “portable” right now. This would not allow for Dropbox in general, but a user workaround would be backing up the .md files into the desired Dropbox folder.

Being able to take my “second brain” with me would make this invaluable.

7 Likes

With 9.1 I can no longer install Obsidian without administrator privileges. I get an error message saying that the exe file doesn’t have an app associated with it.

Hi,
new job, I haven’t got admin rights on my main PC: any update on this ?
Was it possible before to execute Obsidian in portable mode ?
Many thanks

4 Likes

+1 for portable mode

4 Likes

I will also put a +1 on a portable Obsidian that I could run from PortableApps, for example.

I’ve did a small test here, and simply copied the installation folder to another machine (from Windows 7 to Windows 10).

I need to perform more tests, but for now, it seems working fine.

1 Like

That’s essentially the workaround I’ve been using. I let it install, then copy the result and paste it to where I had installed it when we were able to choose the location. So far, that has worked for each new version.

2 Likes

Nice to know.

I’ve put the Obsidian folder inside my PortableApps, create a shortcut to it, and now I can use it like other PA’s.

1 Like

Just to inform You all that my portable Obsidian updated itself from 0.9.10 to 0.9.11 and, for now, everything is running fine.

1 Like

I would also like to use Obsidian from a jump drive without needing admin privileges.
Thank you!

1 Like

only pdf export seems not to work (for me)

+1 for an Official Portable Mode support

I really need this feature

1 Like

+1 for this (or some sort of repackaging that would make the app easier to install / run on work computers). I have admin rights and have been able to install pretty much everything, but Obsidian apparently violates the organization’s group policy and IT will not allow it to be installed.

1 Like

workaround here: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/create-a-portable-version-of-any-application-in-windows/

2 Likes

+1 for official portable version

3 Likes