Roam-like note hierarchical structure

Obsidian developers, please! We need a roam-like outliner experience.

Things I have tried

I have seen different ways to work with Obsidian, bullet list, outliner plugin but it’s not the same.

What I’m trying to do

I try to explain myself better.
In roam or remnote the note has a hierarchical internal structure. The structure is not given by the headings, because there is no need to give a title to everything. Each item is not a paragraph like in bulleted lists, instead it can be multiple paragraphs (you can wrap), you can insert an image, an equation, a block of code.

So here are the limitations I see in Obsidian.

If you want to use headings, you are required to title everything. For example

# Morning
## Fitness
blah blah blah blah

Another subject

As you can see to insert another subject in the morning I must necessarily give it another ## heading, otherwise it will be part of the previous ## heading.

If instead I want to use the outliner plugin, besides some anomalies, there is the problem that in one place I can’t insert images or code blocks.

One more thing: when I create a reference to an item, this reference is only and only to the item and not to its children, so in the preview I won’t be able to see everything.

I deeply ask to the developers to meet these needs and I would like to discuss with you.

1 Like

Try plugin Outliner. It’s not perfect one to get a hierarchy but it’s worked.
And hope there are some offical solutions.

As I wrote in “Things I tried”, I’ve already tried outliner plugin, but for now it is definitely not the same.

While I’m agreeing with you at some point I want to point out that there is a workaround for this.

You can add a quote block and put there a list. When you’ll give a block reference to that block it will show you the whole list.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.