Reverse Block Reference possible?

Things I have tried

I have spent hours watching YouTube vids and searched all the forums I can find—even posted on the Obsidian FB page. I think I just don’t know the correct term to search.

What I’m trying to do

I am looking for a piece of Markdown that will PUT a block reference link on another page. I know I can use block refs to PULL something from another note, but is there anything that will PUSH? For example, I’m using daily notes. In my daily note, I add some information about a project’s progress. I’d like that information to appear on that project’s note without having to go to the project note and create a block reference back to the daily note. Is there such a thing? Many thanks in advance for your help!

4 Likes

I think you’re looking for this specific functionality in the Notes Refactor plugin? GitHub - lynchjames/note-refactor-obsidian: Allows for text selections to be copied (refactored) into

@dustin Oh, man—this is SO CLOSE. The note refractor plugin is removing the text from the first and pasting into the second. What I want is for it to COPY the text, leaving it in place in the first location, and then paste it with a reference link into the second location. Can this plugin do that or can it only extract?

Automatic embeds of blocks, auto transclude of embed queries, ecc., are feature requests that remain in the long list of useful addons. Until there, we can adopt different workarounds with their own limitations.
My suggestion (using Dataview plugin):

1. In your daily notes, each time you want to write about the “Project A” you can format your note in this way:
ProjectA:: This is my note about Project A. I'm using an "Inline Field" to work with Dataview. A line of the form "Name:: Value" will automatically be parsed by dataview as a field. Note that you need to write a continuous text, without paragraphs. If you want a paragraph or another note about your Project A in another place, you just need to start a new line with:
ProjectA:: This is another note about my Project A.

1. In your “Project A” note you can create dataview queries to all the inline fields that you defined:

Table 1 with links to my daily notes

```dataview
TABLE ProjectA
WHERE ProjectA
```

Table 2 without links to notes

```dataview
TABLE WITHOUT ID (ProjectA) as "Project Progress"
WHERE ProjectA
```

List

```dataview
LIST ProjectA
WHERE ProjectA
```

1. Limitations: the links in the table are for the files/notes, not for the blocks.

EDIT: you can also use “ProjectA” not at beginning of a new line, but in some way you need to separate this “key” from previous text with some punctuation… I didn’t test this hypothesis very much.

7 Likes

The Highlight-Extracting plugin is maybe what you are looking for?

1 Like

thanks so much for this thoughtful response! This might work for me, I just need some time to get my non-programmer brain around how this is working and if I can get it to work like I need.

1 Like

No, highlight extracting is not a fit. But thank you.

I’d like to borrow this thread since I have a similar use case.

Some questions:

1. How do I pull an image into a collating table
  2. I don’t know if it’s important, but id like to know how to make dataview search only in a specific subfolder, as well as the hashtag I employ.
    In my case, folder I want to query from is “020 Research Library” found under: Vault/Kjem399/020 Research Library
  3. Is it possible to collect the all the data tied to a header in a simple way?

Context:
I’m a chemistry research student who’s collecting a lot of research papers and trying to make sense of them. The papers I’m currently reading have a lot of different chemical analyzation techniques to make sure they’ve made the right compound and as such each technique has its own graph/figure and text explaining the figure.
If we’ve got 10 research papers who are all making the same thing and broadly using the same techniques, Id like to collate or collect the relevant text and figure data from that I’ve already collected in an Obsidian folder into a collating document for each technique.

What I’ve tried:
I’ve experimented with using the dataview plugin as well as watched Bryan Jenks’ video and I think I’ve got something of value.

Command that currently works:

table Raman, Fig
from #Kjem399/Characterization_techniques/Raman/GO
sort file.mtime desc

Here is the primary text it was pulled from:
Raman:: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Sit amet risus nullam eget felis eget nunc lobortis… #Kjem399/Characterization_techniques/Raman/GO
Fig:: ![[Pasted image 20210814212720.png]] #Kjem399/Characterization_techniques/Raman/GO

The result:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.