Reveal file in navigation option doesn’t scroll to the file if it is not visible in navigation view

Steps to reproduce

1. in the navigation view, open folders etc so that the height of the navigation view is longer than the height of the obsidian window. in other words, scroll for the navigation view should be enabled because the contents don’t fit.

2. open a note which is positioned closer to the bottom, meaning when the navigation view is scrolled to the top, the file shouldn’t be visible. Also the file should be in a folder (it shouldn’t be at root level)

3. hide the contents of the folder the file belongs by tapping the triangle icon next to the folder. the file shouldn’t be visible in the navigation view.

4. scroll the navigation view to the top, so that the folder containing the file should be below the visible area of the navigation view.

5. move focus to the note

6. open the command palette, type “reveal current file in navigation” and select the option to reveal the file in navigation.

Expected result

The folder containing the file is expanded in the navigation view, and the navigation view is scrolled so that the file is in the visible area of the navigation view.

Actual result

The folder containing the file is expanded, but the navigation view is not scrolled to make the file visible. I have to scroll the navigation view to see where the file is.

Environment

• Operating system:
  • Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.0.0
Installer version: v0.14.15
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.1.0: Sun Oct 9 20:15:09 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8792.41.9~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 22.1.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: off
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 5
Plugins enabled: 2
1: Obsidian Git v2.5.1
2: Rich Links v1.1.0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

2 Likes

thanks

Repeating the command generally triggers the scroll.

(I only learned this because I use the Reveal Active File Button plugin and pressing a button again when it doesn’t work is natural, but I’ve confirmed the same behavior from the command palette.)

This bug still exists at the present time in v1.1.9.

@CawlinTeffid I have just submitted a pull request to the Reveal Active File plugin so that it simply sends the request twice for a single button click. I haven’t experienced any issues doing this, and it solves the problem for me completely.

If @ClareMacrae can add the code, this issue will then be fixed for you.

1 Like