Reminders/Notifications in Obsidian

Hey, thanks for the recommendations, I’ll keep an eye on both!

The biggest question I have right now is how far can you stretch the “everything is markdown files” thing and when are databases the right fit.

For example: structured, recurring entries such as tasks (date, start, end, duration, project, subproject) might just be a better fit for Notion, Coda, Airtable, Trello, Fibery etc.

On the other hand, the snappiness and structureless nature of Obsidian / Roam is way more convenient for knowledge creation and making connections between previously separate notes.

I tried using Coda as an abstraction layer on top of Obsidian for structuring notes, tasks etc, it’s currently just lacking the ability to open obsidian://.../ links…

I think I’m on a similar journey as to how deeply I can integrate my workflow into Obsidian. I started going through all the Third-Party Plugins today on account of the recommendations above and found this:

It’s a very getting-things-done-y understanding of reminders (no push notifications), but maybe this is useful for you.

I think Notion is showing how nicely “inline reminders” can be done. I would not say a database approach is necessary for that. Anyway Obsidian is keeping a database in the background anyway. As long it’s seamlessly updated whenever Markdown files change, that’s fine. The truth is in the Markdown :wink:

Why not allow reminders of the form @2021-2-24T10:30 and when the time is reached they are shown in a list with a bit of context.

11 Likes

Still have no Reminder in Obsidian ?

2 Likes

Let’s Hope they add some functionality soon

1 Like

you can use this plugin.

2 Likes

Here is a proof of concept plugin that sends desktop notifications:
shabegom/obsidian-reminders: Desktop notifications from markdown files

3 Likes

There is this plugin now:

Looks really promising.

5 Likes

Works great, with the caveat that the reminders only pop up within Obsidian itself. But, the developer has an open issue to make the notification a system notification instead: bring obsidian to the front at the time of the reminder · Issue #5 · uphy/obsidian-reminder (github.com)

Hopefully, the system notification will work on mobile too.

Either way, it’s pretty dang cool already.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m a developer of the reminder plugin.

Hopefully, the system notification will work on mobile too.

Unfortunately, It’s not possible as far as I know.
Because Obsidian API doesn’t provide system notification feature.

If it is possible, I’d like to implement mobile notification.

13 Likes

Does it not provide the system notification feature only on mobile or both? Because I remember seeing maybe the Day Planner plugin using the Windows notifications.

Edit: Also, will the plugin be coming to the community plugins any time soon?

1 Like

Reminder plugin already provides system notification only for Windows and macOS (by using Electron’s API).

Also, this plugin has already been in Community Plugins.

3 Likes

You can look at org-mode for the design of various such features. Benefit of having text only data/metadata is any app following the standard (org-mode) can implement them independently.
Eg Logseq has implemented most common features (including scheduling tasks), sync files, and on Android Orgzly which understands org files and has notification system already implemented so reminder functionality works on all devices and you can schedule it from anywhere

1 Like

@uphy If instead of using the electron API, you use the web api https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/notification, does it work on mobile?

1 Like

also quickly chiming in on this because if I understand it correctly, there is no feature request for all-device-system-notifications yet, right? or has it been archived/abandoned?

2 Likes

Couldn’t there be something that just launches a file in the vault at a certain time and that “file” is actually some kind of external program that sets a notification?

The mobile idea is interesting too… maybe something could be sent through the browser.

Obsidian Mobile android version: v1.0.4

I need reminder support for mobile application. Currently, I use the reminder plugin, and it provides this functionality for the mac/windows obsidian app, but the android app doesn’t have this functionality yet. So I’m requesting this feature in the core mobile app because the dev of the plugin needs it to implement mobile support.
Thank you.

69 Likes

This would make it much easier to use obsidian to manage my life.

14 Likes

+1 from me too! Any chance that this gets implemented?

10 Likes

I’d love that functionality as well

10 Likes