Remember edit or preview mode seperately for each file (instead of per pane)

Hello,

I am sorry for that very vague title, but my concern is the following, say that I have three markdown files named Lec1, Lec2 and Lec3. Lec1 and Lec2 are my final notes and Lec3 I am still editing. So, I would want to see Lec1 and Lec2 in preview mode always that is the markdown preview. and Lec3 which I am editing, in edit mode.
Currently, if I change Lec3 from edit mode to preview mode all of them got the preview mode that is all the files are in the same mode. Is there a way to tell obsidian to lock preview mode for Lec1 until I change it to edit mode?

Thank you.

1 Like

This shouldn’t happen, each file can be changed edit<–> preview individually. How are you switching to preview mode?

Mine is the same as @SphericalCow

I can toggle edit/preview for a panel, but it stays on that mode as I switch notes.

If I understand correctly, @SphericalCow is suggesting that the toggle should be remembered per note rather than per panel.

However, could this cause an issue when having a split view of the same note in edit and preview?

Got it, that is indeed different to what I was suggesting. Edited the title to reflect that.

There is now a force view mode plugin which allows setting the mode via frontmatter. But this is cumbersome. I still think it would be best if, as suggested, Obsidian would remember the view mode (preview/edit mode) per page. This could be stored either somewhere in the .obsidian folder, the cache or in the frontmatter (but automatically).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.