Publish - search content of files and tags

It would be great if publish allowed searching for file contents and tags along with the current filename and heading titles.

For example, imagine published recipes.
If you have some extra rhubarb on hand it would be nice to search for that as an ingredient to see what else you can make with it.

Similarly, if recipes are tagged by cuisine, it would be nice to search for “Mediterranean” and get results even though it is a tag (#mediterranean).

17 Likes

Unless I’m missing something, it seems the search feature in the sidebar on published sites does not search within pages except for headings. I’m gathering this by looking at the help site.

Use case or problem

The capability referenced is near ubiquitous on websites.

Proposed solution

The hit list for searches should include page names, headings, aliases and tags first then hits anywhere within the pages.

5 Likes

Agree - even if tags were supported to be searched, this would be a large improvement.

Probably some setting - search +title and headings, +tags, +full text

1 Like

Agree. Would love to see this get implemented.

Agreed. The current implementation of the “Search” on the Publish product is woefully lacking.

It’s not a search per say, it’s a perusal of “chapter” titles one would physically do when looking at a table of contents of a book.

When someone uses a search on a website, it’s a full word search of the content. That’s a de facto accepted industry standard.

It’s not something akin to full search engine algorithms you see on Google, it’s just a full word search of content.

It already exists in the app, it should be on the “web app” version of the product.

3 Likes

Loving Obsidian Publish!

One feature from local Obsidian I’d love in Publish is the ability to search by tags. Currently you can click a tag and see all notes with that tag. But you can’t search for notes with specific combinations of tags.

As someone who wants to use this as an internal wiki for my small team (I believe one of it’s intended use cases), the site will become more or less unusable as it grows larger if we cannot search combinations of tags, because the search is so limited

2 Likes

Obsidian now implements tags as “properties” which are in the frontmatter, so it would be easier to add search for tags without actually searching all the contents of the file.
This is IMO connected to the issue of displaying properties in publish

1 Like

Agree. I was surprised to learn it was NOT a full text word search in Publish. If Google crawls one’s vault, I’m thinking you could perform such a search that way (used site:url method). But still.

Indeed, a website without content search isn’t much use, which is a real shame as Obsidian Publish would be super cool with a proper search system. Until then, I’m not sure how useful it can be to anyone.

1 Like

Bit older post but I’m also going to throw my hat in and say this is incredibly useful - I’m moving my old art blog to Publish for the time being and allowing my viewers to search my work by tags would make finding what they’re looking for much simpler.

2 Likes

full-text search is implemented

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.