Properties get copied onto other notes

Steps to reproduce

What happens is that from time to time, while I’m switching from one note to a previous note, the properties of the first note get copied onto the previous note. I’ve had this happen to me a number of times now and it’s crazy annoying. Not only do I lose a lot of information but I also have to put in a lot of effort to recover it. Unclear how to exactly reproduce this, it has happened several times, but not every time.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

The note properties should remain consistent.

Actual result

Notes randomly adopt the properties of another note when switching.

Environment

Irrelevant

Additional information

This template for a bug report starts off the wrong way. Why not start with a description of the problem? Some issues are not reproducible through specific steps, but can still be described. Steps to reproduce the issue should therefore not be front and center.

1 Like

We almost always need reproducible steps otherwise we are not able to locate the bug.

This instead is very relevant and helps the troubleshooting process tremendously.

I am gonna keep this BR open for a while and see if someone else can provide more details.

I’m confused, why are you able to edit my post and I’m not? Or am I missing the option somewhere in this UI?

Anyway, here’s the debug info, sorry for being obstinate:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.13
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Fri Sep 15 13:41:30 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3.700.8~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 22.6.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 3
Plugins enabled: 3
1: Dataview v0.5.56
2: Tasks v4.3.0
3: Advanced Tables v0.19.1

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Update installer: installer version too low, please download from Download - Obsidian and reinstall.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Admins are able to edit basically anything, because they’re admins. We can edit our posts for a short time after posting, but it’s not allowed indefinitely, in order to reduce abuse and confusion.

I think I know when it triggers. It just happened again when I was clicking “Save” after changing a datatype for one of my properties. Right after clicking save, as soon as the popup disappeared, I clicked back on my mouse to go to the previous note. I think what happens is that during the save operation it looks at the current note and not at the note that the save was intended for. Maybe look into that.

I don’t know what you are talking about. I don’t think there’s a save button in Obsidian.

At bare minimum, post a screen recording of the actions you do to trigger the bug in the sandbox vault.

There’s a save button in the “Change property type” modal.

1 Like

We are experiencing the same behavior in Obsidian on Windows. I also have the feeling that it gets triggered when editing property values and switching to other notes.
In my case I just set up a new vault and imported around 7k notes from evernote into Obsidian. For this, I introduced two templates of properties. To bring the new setup to life, we use the “random note” function, insert some of the property values and jump to the next random note. There it often happens that one property template (e.g. properties of books) are overwritten by another one (e.g. properties for products).

The values in the first note, where the new property values were added are blank, the next note gets all the properties and values from the first one. These of the second one are lost.

I still don’t know how to properly reproduce.
Any tip on how to prevent this until a fix is published would be great, as I just told my mother to switch from evernote to Obsidian. This really feels bad that her data is getting corrupted now.

Maybe (we are still observing) the issue might be related with not having clicked out of the live editing fields for property values. So in case of a list, after one value has been added, other values might still be displayed while switching to the next note.
But as I said, this is a current idea that we are still trying to see if the copying happens again.

Without clear steps to reproduce the issue, I’m afraid we won’t be able to properly get to the bottom of what is happening.

• Does the issue still happen with plugins disabled?
  • What were you doing prior to the data getting duplicated? Did you click a link to navigate to a new note? Did you trigger a command?

I can confirm that I’m seeing the same issue on my side. Latest version v1.4.16 on macOS.

Here are the steps to reproduce as a video:
https://dropover.cloud/9798a3#ab585964-300d-46e6-8a22-4b18abdbac53

I’ve also tested this with all the Community plugins disabled and the issue persists.

Hopefully that’s helpful! Would love to see this fixed :slight_smile:

Please, see my post below with screen recording attached.

what is this showing? that properties UI makes it looks like you overwrite the properties but they are not actually there in source mode?

What are the repro steps exactly? It seems that you just click on link in a property, that’s all!??

Did you also restart obsidian?

Does it happen in the sandbox vault?

ok, I kind of reproduce 1 time. that’s progress.

Here is how to repro it every time: Dropover Cloud Upload

4 Likes

The bug has been identified. Thanks for the report. It will be fixed for the next release.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.