Primary Theme

Super sad that it will cost money…but I understand! I probably won’t be able to pay for it cause like I’m a kid but yea I hope people do pay for it and get that theme if you make it!

BTW I think your must-support list is now perfect, but I shall tell you if I find any other languages that I forgot about that are popular and you should add!

1 Like

Yea I can never find the correct color palette for myself so I don’t know how I would do trying to make one for everyone :joy:

1 Like

I have found it is a effort in futility, only because it is not my field. I have tried, it just never was ‘just right’, you know.

Let’s leave it in the hands of the expert.

2 Likes

I appreciate how understanding you guys are and I’m very grateful for it!! I’ll update you guys about the colors and editor themes — probably after I get through the Customization and Mega Fixes update. Thank you again for all of your continued support!! :two_hearts:

Excellent work! The color, the well-structured CSS file, and all the details. Thank you for creating and updating this theme. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Primary users! After winning Obsidian October 2021, Primary has been nominated as one of the Obsidian Gems of 2021 thanks to @Mara-Li 's nomination (thank you so much)!!

Primary has been one of the most exciting things that happened to my 2021 and I am very grateful for all of your kind words and support. There will be tons of updates coming in late January to early February — mega fixes, mega additions, mega customizations — to help you do more with it, have it polished, and make it yours. :sparkles::carousel_horse:

If you think Primary has somehow impacted the way you’ve worked with Obsidian, please cast your vote for Primary on the poll in this thread. If you’d like to take your support even further and aid the development of the next mega update + Primary for other apps (such as VSCode), consider buying me a coffee.Thank you again for all your suggestions, kind words, bug reports, and everything in between!!! :yellow_heart::heart::blue_heart:

7 Likes

@Cecilia_May

This is a beautiful theme!

Would you consider adding another feature that aids visual organization? Custom checkboxes? See #4 here.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! Glad you’re enjoying it. Definitely adding this to the list @ScottKillen !! Thank you so much for your suggestion :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m not a particular fan of the brown, but you have a lot of attention to detail in this theme that I have not really seen in other themes. The raised buttons, the nice typography scale, the font family, etc. I would love to see all of this in a more generic theme but I don’t think that exists. Let’s just say I would pay 16 coffees for it.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words @lucidthoughts !! I totally get how you might not prefer brown, the theme has quite an opinionated color scheme. (hehe :sweat_smile: ) Initially, I wanted to create many themes of different styles (I had quite a list! All of them having different shapes, feelings evoked, color schemes, and would - of course - have the same amount of detail in execution) — but as I released Primary, I learned how hard maintenance would be considering other things up on my plate. Just having 1 theme is already time consuming enough (at least on my end), what more having 2 (or 3). It’s even harder if I don’t use all of them simultaneously as I wouldn’t be able to constantly check the quality. Quality is really important to me and I would give up a lot of things for this. I will only be able to provide another theme like this if I would be continuously well compensated for my time to create a new one from the ground up (which is very time consuming to start with) and to maintain this. :disappointed_relieved:

BUT! If you have no problems tinkering around a big wall of settings (soon™), maybe paying for premium color schemes and customization guides (soon™), and be fine with having most shapes and cues on Primary be kept as is — maybe try waiting on Primary’s next mega issues-fixed update and customizations release :thinking:?

TLDR
I’m more than happy to build on top of Primary and allow customization through settings! I unfortunately don’t have the time to maintain another codebase — but to allow other users to enjoy the quality Primary already brings and add on top of it, maybe I can deliver :sweat_smile: If by then you’re satisfied with the customizations release, and Primary comes to serve you well, I’d be really grateful for your support :sweat_smile::sparkling_heart:!

4 Likes

I absolutely appreciate the opinionated color scheme. 1. Brown is beautiful 2. The brown-yellow overlay (lets call it sepia here) is often my preferred choice in a “reading-mode” environment. I often use a similar color scheme in my Safari browser. When I opened your theme my immediate reaction was, “This developer knows what he or she is doing.”

Thank you for creating such a pleasant, warm, and wonderful theme. Best out of the dozens I’ve tried on Obsidian. Had to create an account here on the forums to let you know.

6 Likes

Just visiting to say that theme is awesome and to mention about heading throuble. But here is a snippet already.
:black_heart::fire:

1 Like

Hey @Cecilia_May the theme is gorgeous. Personally I was not a great fan of Brown, but this changed my view. Also the attention to detail for each element in some of the popular community plugins is so beautiful.

However, the headings are a bit big for my linking. I know that I can change them in CSS (and I have done that), but I much prefer to do non-destructive modifications whenever possible. Any plans of introducing a theme customization plugin for such changes?

Also, ability to modify the colors alongside would also be amazing. As a person who is currently learning web dev, the CSS you’ve made is amazing, especially the comments and documentation. My new fav plugin 10/10.

2 Likes

She is working hard at a rework.

2 Likes

To Primary Users :sparkles::carousel_horse:

Since its launch, Primary has gotten requests for its development even outside Obsidian. Logseq support will come, VSCode, etc. You can view the general roadmap on the link below.

Of course, the main meat is the Primary for Obsidian Roadmap! Here you’ll catch all the bugs, features, and updates I’m working on with Primary!! It also includes features I’ve been eyeing on for a while, but will be implementing in the future. It’s also open for comments so I’m more than happy to see your thoughts on them!

:sparkles::pushpin:Primary Public Board

BTW - Transfer to Sass will be done by Wed/Fri of this week This will make updating the theme easier and faster (which means more frequent updates). I also received credits and will be using it to get Insider —this should help me get access to builds and will be able to potentially roll out updates in advance :3

@patrick_ambrosso - Check out the board linked above! I think you’d be happy to find out the extent of how the customizations will go :smile: They will come soon!

7 Likes

Woah, seems a lot of amazing stuff coming!

2 Likes

Awesome update.
Thanks for your work.

1 Like

To Primary Users! :sparkles::carousel_horse: v.1.0 is out now!

Comes with tons of bug fixes, support for Obsidian v.0.13+, improved UI design, and ready for more updates!

Currently broken: Aside/Sidenotes (due to v.0.13 update. it’s harder to fix since I stopped using this. [Help wanted!])

Also, I’m brewing something up.

I’m an absolute color nerd. I studied colors a lot back in high school when I was learning to paint! It looks like the hard work has been transferred to other mediums as well, and ever since I published Primary, many have asked me for help in colors or has commented how beautiful Primary’s palette is (thank you so much). I wanted to share all the practical knowledge I’ve picked up and taught myself over the years to others. If you’re looking to improve your coloring skills, come join us to become a Color Connoisseur! :art: (At the bottom, you get to tell me the color you hate and why :yum:)

New :gift:

• Full WYSIWYG Support! #13 , #14 , #33 , #46
  • Full support of syntax highlighting for Codeblocks (does not preempt Primary’s syntax highlighting for other apps) #7
  • Search Current File now has a new look #40

Changes :paintbrush:

• Active Line on Preview removes background focus color from gutter. It only highlights text now. Source view still highlights the gutter. #8
  • Code moved to using Sass
  • Made the headers h1 to h6 slightly smaller
  • Improved UI :gem:
    v1primaryupdateui

Fixes :hammer_and_wrench:

• Reduced height of link suggestions on Mobile #22
  • Cursor now appears when in an empty line #25
  • Paragraph breaks now work within a quote block #28
  • Collapsing arrows should now be bug free and properly aligned #26
  • Images should now be resizable #29
  • Status bar now doesn’t interfere with Workspace tab contents #34

Community Contributions :people_hugging:

Next Steps :telescope:

• [for real now] Style Settings starting with size adjustments, then some feature toggles, then color customizations :sparkles:
  • Better language support through fonts :eyes:

As always, thank you to all those who submitted issues and PRs! Thank you to all those who supported me on ko-fi too, especially to my 2 monthly supporters: @dsent and @ScottKillen :rainbow::sob::sparkling_heart:

Consider supporting its development here:

5 Likes

@Cecilia_May : I use sidenotes quite a lot, but only the hide version. If it is of any help, below is the code that I use for Primary. I left rules that I outcommented in for completeness sake.

I had to adjust @SlRvb’s original code a bit to make it work. You can find the code for the other types of sidenote on that page too.

/* Original Live Preview-amended snippet here : https://github.com/SlRvb/Obsidian--ITS-Theme/blob/main/S%20-%20Aside.css */

.is-live-preview .aside-hide { margin-right: 0; }

.aside-hide {
    text-decoration: unset;
    text-align: justify;
    color: transparent;
    font-weight: unset;
    float: right;
    position: relative;
    /*margin: .5em;*/
    margin-right: -4em !important;
    padding-bottom: 2em !important;
    width: 1.5em;
    height: 1.5em;
    /*clear: right;*/
    overflow: hidden;
    /*background-color: var(--background-primary);*/
    color: transparent;
}

.aside-hide:before {
    display: block;
    content: "ℹ️ "; /* was 🗨 */
    color: red; /* PB changed from "none"; not clear why "red" shows true color */
    /*text-shadow: 0 0 0 var(--interactive-accent);
    font-size: 1.3rem;*/ /* PB changed from 12px */
    /*padding-top: .1em;
    padding-left: .3em;*/
    font-size: 1.3rem;
    margin-left: -.8rem;
}

.aside-hide:hover:before {
    border-bottom: 2px solid var(--background-modifier-border);
}

.aside-hide:hover {
    white-space: normal;
    text-overflow: unset;
    color: unset;
    width: 400px; /* leave @ 400 otherwise hovering vibrates */
    height: unset;
    /*background-color: var(--background-primary-alt);*/
    padding: 1em;
    padding-top: .5em;
    z-index: 3;
    /*box-shadow: .5em .5em var(--outer-bar);*/
    border-right: 3px solid var(--interactive-accent) !important;
    border-bottom: 3px solid var(--interactive-accent) !important; /* PB added this */
    font-size: 14.5px; /* PB added this */
    border-radius: 4px; /* PB added this */
    /*margin-right: 2rem;*/
}

.theme-light aside, .aside-hide {
    border: none !important;
    box-shadow: none !important;
    background: none !important;
}

:root {
    --aside-header: "💭 Info";
}
2 Likes

Thank you so much @Klaas !! I’ll add this note to the Roadmap!!

1 Like