Prevent plugins and auto-updates in corporate network

What I’m trying to do

Where I work we have a very secure corporate network and we are not allowed to install our own software. We can only request that the IT department install software from an approved list.

I really want to use (and pay for) Obsidian at work, but because of the auto-update and community plugin functionalities, it is currently on the blocked software list.

I want to find a way to block the automatic updates and community plugin functionality.

Things I have tried

At first I thought this would be as easy as blocking a URL, because although most plugins are hosted on GitHub, I assumed that the search would reach out to an Obsidian server. I have since discovered that the plugin list itself is hosted on GitHub and, as we cannot block that domain, I am back to square one.

I haven’t been able to find any information about how the auto updater works but I am assuming it is in a similar way.

You can tell your IT department to install Obsidian and block its network access completely or selectively.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.