Preference to keep `metadata` pane open

Use case or problem

The metadata pane at the top of notes looks very slick! Right now, it’s always collapsed on every note until explicitly opened. If you’re opening notes often, wanting to see that metadata all the time means a lot of clicking.

Proposed solution

It would be great if there was a setting to control metadata pane state when opening a new note. It would have two modes:

• closed (current behavior)
  • open (starts open, can be closed)

Current workaround (optional)

N/A

Related feature requests (optional)

3 Likes

Current workaround:

Obsidian → Settings → Editor → Show frontmatter

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, that’s not quite what I’m after.

That certainly works, but the current frontmatter panel doesn’t look as nice as the Metadata panel:

I was just looking for a setting so that the nice folding Metadata panel is expanded by default when opening an existing note.

Sure, that’s why I call it ‟current workaround”.
As non-native English speaker I do not know if there is more appropriate way to call it (?) so I just picked terminology from template for feature request.
I just wanted to mention it in case somebody needs a solution urgently as current method might be good enough for him. To save them and others from having to post / browse through another help/feature requests.

And I appreciate you taking the time to suggest that. :slightly_smiling_face:

That certainly works for seeing the metadata, but long term I’d love to see this FR implemented anyway.

I have a little CSS snippet workaround, if this is still relevant.

.frontmatter-container.is-collapsed .frontmatter-section {
  display: flex !important;
}

I also didn’t like the header so I removed that.

.frontmatter-container-header {
  display: none !important;
}

There’s also the Metatable plugin that does even more.

2 Likes

Oh awesome, those are both great! I’ll take a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.