Potentially Leave Ulysses?

hello Obsidian Users!

I was cleaning out my DevonThink after being inspired by @MacSparky field guides. During clean-up, I remembered I had a few sermon folders in Ulysses that I wanted to index. After much time, I realized because I store Ulysses in iCloud, DT won’t index it. I’ve been messing around with Obsidian today, trying to avoid jumping on another new app, but I am wondering if Obsidian will play nice with what I need (and whether or not I will even DevonThink or Ulysses again)

My main purpose of Ulysses is just writing and reading my sermons from there. Every once in a while, there is a blog post or meeting note, or something. The reason I landed on Ulysses it was the closest thing to give me a good experience on the iPad Mini for reading. My eyes are getting worse, so I need a fairly large font on a regular basis.

DevonThink has always been my ‘archive’ storage and now trying to make it more ‘research based’. It’s not reliable enough for me to write in and speak from.

I tested indexing my Obsidian vault from DT today and that seemed to work. I copied a few notes from Ulysses into Obsidian and that seems like a good experience so far.

My questions…
Any suggestions before jumping ship from Ulysses? I am still trying to figure out how to use the pinch/zoom feature on the iPad Mini with Obsidian. Is it meant for notes?

Anyone have a recommended theme knowing my use case now?

Anything else I should be aware of? Today, I tested with the Mac mainly for notes. Most of my daytime writing workflow is via iPad in Ulysses. At nights, when the kids sleep, I am at my mac, just for a reference point.

Hey, in a similar situation here. I originally used Ulysses for my personal and work journals, and for drafting and writing blog posts.

Any suggestions before jumping ship from Ulysses? I am still trying to figure out how to use the pinch/zoom feature on the iPad Mini with Obsidian. Is it meant for notes?

I actually struggled taking notes with Ulysses for a while, and never truly used it properly. Though I think I attribute much of that to a shaky methodology.

Obsidian was designed for taking notes, no? At least how I use it, it works fantastically for that.

Anyone have a recommended theme knowing my use case now?

I personally settled on using the obsidian-minimal theme and the Minimal Theme Settings plugin—which allows you to easily change things like the sidebar font. Not sure if it would work for you but it’s worth a try?

Anything else I should be aware of? Today, I tested with the Mac mainly for notes. Most of my daytime writing workflow is via iPad in Ulysses. At nights, when the kids sleep, I am at my mac, just for a reference point.

I use sync over iCloud since I use it on my iPhone, Mac, and iPad. IIRC you have to create the vault on an iOS device first, so that a folder will be created for the application in your iCloud Drive, and then on your Mac you open that vault. Then you’ll have simple syncing, that just seems to work, at least it has for me. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.