Polytonic Greek in Obsidian note

What I’m trying to do

If this is the wrong place for this question, please redirect me. I’m using the polytonic Greek input source on a Mac running Ventura to enter Greek text into an Obsidian note. An alpha with smooth breathing shows up in the Obsidian note as an alpha followed by an acute accent, which is just wrong. If anyone can help me with this, or direct me to a better place to be asking, I would appreciate it.

Things I have tried

Using the polytonic Greek input source on a Mac running Ventura to enter Greek text into an Obsidian note. Enter an alpha with smooth breathing using the keyboard viewer.

Greek.

An alpha with smooth breathing shows up in the Obsidian note as an alpha followed by an acute accent.

I assume what you’re trying to do works in other apps, but just to make sure — does it?

Try the steps listed here to rule out some possibilities:

Possibly to do with keyboard layouts?

Yes, @CawlinTeffid , entering Polytonic Greek using the Keyboard Viewer works as advertised in many other applications that work with text. Yes, I am using the latest Obsidian version and installer. The steps to reproduce are switch the input language to Greek – Polytonic, open the keyboard viewer, press the key for the smooth breathing mark. The key for the character alpha will now show as an alpha with smooth breathing over, roughly, the left-to-right midline of the base character. Now press that key. In most text applications, a Greek letter alpha with smooth breathing mark will be entered. In Obsidian, the result is an alpha with an acute accent mark to the right of the alpha. If you need more details in order to reproduce this, I am happy to provide them. This is running the latest release of Ventura.

Thanks, @anon63144152 , the OP @allispaul seems to be reporting a similar problem to the one I am seeing.

1 Like

The other thread doesn’t sound too promising, but there is always hope.

:crossed_fingers:t4:

Thank you!

Am I the only Obsidian user who needs to use Polytonic Greek in my notes?

1 Like

It may be worth posting a bug report about this (make sure to follow the template if you do). Also in your description it would be good to refer to the physical keys as well as what they are in the layout, to make it easier for someone unfamiliar with the writing system to reproduce. For example:

smooth breathing mark (“A” on the physical keyboard)

Or similar.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.