Pizza, Pizza, Obsidian Zettelkasten Example

Simply put, a zettelkasten is a latticework (EL) of note sequences. A note sequence is a concept followed by your running commentary on that concept or closely related information. The running commentary can take the form of references to that idea you come across while reading, new components of the ideas, and how its connects to other note sequences in your collection. The reason it takes the form of a running commentary is because you don’t come across all the relevant information on a topic at once. Instead you come up with new ideas and get exposed to new information over your lifespan.

Ideally, in a forum based zettelkasten each note sequence would be its own post (e.g. tools for thought zettelkasten (EL)) and the running commentary would be all the comments. This is achievable because all you need is the ability to add comments and edit them for the purpose of creating new links. I am not doing this here because I don’t want to clog up the Obsidian forum with my experimentation. I do want to create this post to serve as an example of how you can develop a concept within a zettelkasten. Due to this post potentially getting really long, I do not want to have it all within one comment as I do with all my other note sequences.

This note sequence will be about Pizza! I thought exploring the world of pizza to be a great example because of its universal appeal (at least for Americans, which I am one).

Blank Links (e.g zettelkasten above) - are links that go to another page within this forum or another comment.

EL (e.g. latticework (EL) above) - are external links that lead outside of the forum.

Important Note to Reader - Note Sequence vs. Latticework for Creative Output

3 Likes

Pizza is a savory dish of Italian origin consisting of a usually round, flattened base of leavened wheat-based dough topped with tomatoes, cheese, and often various other ingredients which is then baked at a high temperature, traditionally in a wood-fired oven.

Source - Wikipedia (EL)

Important Notes

Research

Let me know if you have any research material recommendations. Whether that be reading material, podcast recommendations, YouTube channels, or any indirectly related material.

All External Links

Indirectly Related

• Science of Cooking
  • Science of Taste

Books to Checkout

• Flour Water Salt Yeast - The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • The Elements of Pizza Unlocking the Secrets to World-Class Pies at Home
  • Baking with Steel The Revolutionary New Approach to Perfect Pizza, Bread, and More
  • The Pizza Bible The World’s Favorite Pizza Styles, from Neapolitan, Deep-Dish, Wood-Fired, Sicilian, Calzones and Focaccia to New York, New Haven, Detroit, and More
  • From the Wood-Fired Oven New and Traditional Techniques for Cooking and Baking with Fire
  • Pizza: A Slice of American History
  • Pizza: A Global History by Carol Helstosky
1 Like

Mapping out the Pizza Landscape

Internal Landscape

• History of Pizza
  • What makes a Pizza?
  • How is a Pizza Created?

External Landscape

• Pizza in Culture
  • Business of Pizza
  • My Pizza Preferences

Science of Pizza

• Formal Sciences
    • Statistics behind Pizza in the U.S. ?
    • Mathematics is the study of patterns, what are the patterns of pizza?
  • Natural Sciences
  • Social Sciences

Humanities of Pizza

• Pizza in Literature
  • Pizza in Visual Arts

Anthropology of Pizza

Social anthropology studies patterns of behavior and cultural anthropology studies cultural meaning, including norms and values. What are the norms and values associated with pizza?

Is there a cultural norm around pineapple on pizza? Should there be? What do we truly value as a society regarding our pizza? Pineapple on pizza as an example of people straying away from the norm of society because they have misaligned values. Yes you heard that, I think pineapple on pizza is wrong.

can you please share the obsidianvault of this zettelkasten too?

@Kuncy I haven’t created an Obsidian Vault around this yet, just doing it in the forum. I will let you know when I end up creating an Obsidian Publish page of my vault.

Biology of Pizza would be looking into the biological processes that go into the creation of a pizza. This is everything from understanding the fungus yeast to how our taste buds work to plant development.

Hello @lizardmenfromspace, Thank you for sharing your thought process in Zettelkasten using such a universal topic as pizza. To reiterate @Kuncy request, do you have an Obsidian Vault of this work? If you do, could you share a link so a potential new user of Obsidian could toggle elements to learn by doing with something already formed?

Alternatively, does any one have a simple Obsidian Vault on a universal topic that could serve that purpose? My efforts at PKM have been formed with a 3+ year use of a note taking app (LiquidText, LT). I’m struggling to break out of that mold into the possible of Obsidian.

My thoughts on use would be to move a copy of the “Pizza Vault” into my copy of Obsidian and then do things to/with it. Wiggle things in edit space then observe results in preview space.

I might bounce this question up also.

Thank you.

It took me a bit but I figured out two things which I share here in case you are, as I am, less skilled in the programmer-speak (said with the utmost respect and affection) that predominates in this forum

• The Obsidian Help ?link after launching Obsidian can be modified. Those modifications can then be seen in the preview frame. Kinda scary to me since I don’t want to break my instance of the Help capability but it can be a source of how-to. Not my preference to modify a help function to learn/practice.

• I found the Constitution graph on the discord/obsidian forum. The person who developed Constitution, rithwik, has provided a zip of the Obsidian vault for the Constitution graph here: https://github.com/rithwik/constitution It appears to be something that will serve my “Pizza” toggling request herein. rithwik might be on this Obsidian forum but a simple search doesn’t reveal any hits.

Others with my background or less might benefit from this information so…

@CynthesisToday I haven’t yet started this zettelkasten project, as I’m currently working on other projects. I can @ you when I’ve created it. If you find more example vaults, feel free to post them here.

1 Like