Pictures/Files folder pointing to onedrive?

Things I have tried

Searched forum and on google

What I’m trying to do

Hi

I am trying to create a workflow where I:

• Use a simple whiteboard style drawing program on my ipad (currently trying out “Concepts”)
  • Export svg file of a drawing to a specific ondrive folder (still on the ipad)
  • Onedrive synchronize with my pc
  • The drawing appears in Obsidian (on my PC) where I can easily drag and drop on the the line where I need it in a given note.

So the thing I do not know how to achieve is the “drawing appears in Obsidian”.
Is it possible to “subscribe to” or “mount” a folder on my onedrive such that its content is available from within Obsidian. Another option I have thought about would be a small script running anytime obsidian is running and is making sure a svg_images_folder in my obsidian vault is always receiving copies of any new file appearing in my onedrive svg files folder - again so I can access them from within obsidian.
Maybe there is a better approach. If so please share your thoughts :slight_smile:

(This whole setup is to get hand drawings inputs for my notes as close to a OneNote experience as possible when it comes to stylus input. The reason why I would like to go with SVG files is that I can easily modifiy these later. )

You can create a symlink inside your Obsidian vault folder to a folder in the local OneDrive folder. More info available here as well.

If you do this, the OneDrive folder will appear within your Obsidian vault.

3 Likes

Hi ScottKillen

Thanks for the answer. Your links took me further and I have now set up a batch file with robocopy that I leave running when I am drawing on my ipad. It copies new files or changed files from the OneDrive folder that is shared between my ipad and PC into a folder in my obsidian vault. The command in the batch file reads: robocopy /mot:1.
The /mot:1 means it check for changes every 1 min.

Related info: I have added OneDrive to “Files” on my ipad using the first part of this guide: How to download files directly to OneDrive on iPhone and iPad | Windows Central

robocopy “Onedrive folder” “drawings folder in the vault” /mot:1.

Robocopy is a great tool!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.