Performance issue after switching to Preview mode in v0.8.4

Steps to reproduce

Create a note with a lot of content (5000 characters).
Switch to Preview mode.
Try to scroll.

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 x64
  • Obsidian version: v0.8.4

Additional information

The bigger the file, the slower it gets (tested with 5000 characters).
It is much better than in version 0.8.2, but it still takes a while to work after entering Preview mode.

Thank you for the report. Normally I wouldn’t consider this a bug per se, but I’m not too sure where else to put this. Perhaps #feature-requests ?

Performance optimization is always an ongoing thing - in each version we get to experiment with it here and there. Often times though it ends up breaking things, or introducing some kind of artifacts like flickering or improperly rendered results. So we have to be careful in our approach.

There’s also a limit as to how much we can optimize. You’re on a mid-level low-power laptop CPU from 2015, which is going to struggle quite a bit more than a more recent desktop CPU. Also it’s pretty reasonable that the bigger the file, the slower it gets, there’s really not much we can do about that.

That said, you can be rest assured that we do take performance seriously and we are fairly experienced in optimizations. Things will get better gradually, but I hope you’ll understand that the more performance we squeeze, the harder it gets to optimize even more, so it would take more time as a user to see improvements.

1 Like

I am going to archive this.

@henrique make sure you don’t have some background process eating your resources.
Also perhaps a simpler css theme might help.