PDF's Not Rendering, Spammed w/ Save Prompts

Steps to reproduce

Open a note that has an embedded PDF.

Expected result

PDF should render on the screen.

Actual result

Save prompts pop up, spamming my screen. Closing results in more spawning.

Environment

• Operating system: Arch
  • Debug info: Cannot access, “save” prompts are occurring to the point that it is not possible to navigate menu’s

Additional information

Hello, I am having trouble with Obsidian.

Obsidian Version: v1.1.9

I have been using Obsidian for a while, the issue is new after updating my system (it had been a bit since I last used Obsidian so I cannot pinpoint which version).

The issue is as follows: Instead of embedding PDFs (like it used to) using ![[name.pdf]] I am instead spammed with prompts to save the PDF file. This is the same style of prompt as you would get right clicking a web page and clicking “Save as…” or downloading a PDF from the internet.

If there is any other information I can provide to help diagnose the issue please let me know.

We havan’t changed anything so this is a lesson in not using Arch, btw?

Anyway, jokes aside, I would suggest to try the appimage or snap installer because we don’t make the arch package.

1 Like

I have tried the appimage, the issue prevails, forgot to note this in the post.

do the pdf viewer that’s built in chrome work for you?

Do you get any errors in console when obsidian is running?

My PDF viewer in various chromium-based browsers (Vivaldi, brave, etc) works fine, the same way it used to work in Obsidian.

I get the following error when running Obsidian from the terminal:

libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name =

I also get some GTK-theme warnings but I get those for everything and have in the past so its unlikely to be relevant

Does it happen in the sandbox vault?

Yes, it does.

I have found that using the flatpak of Obsidian solves the problem. It’s likely that there is a missing dependency or something along those lines which the flatpak bundled with the application.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.