Pasting bullet list into Obsidian creates extra spaces (reopened)

This post is to reopen Pasting bullet list into Obsidian creates extra spaces, which was closed due to inactivity but is nevertheless still relevant and occurring to me (not only between bullets, but also newlines between bullets and newlines between any paragraphs, and doesn’t preserve bullet indentation).

Reposting OP @Elisus:

When I copy a bullet list from a separate application and paste it into Obsidian, the list pastes correctly, but I get two extra empty spaces between the bullet point and the beginning of the text.

This has happened when copying from Notion, Joplin and some other programs.
If I copy just the text (CTRL + SHIFT + V), I don’t get the extra spaces, but I lose the bullet points.

Does anyone know what causes this?

1 Like

Look at the html in the clipboard. If the extra spaces are there, it’s not Obsidian’s problem.

1 Like

You probably didn’t mean it, but the attitude in that post is a bit off-putting. Anyway, I love your work and I have used dynalist (paying customer) for many years now, and obsidian for close to a year. I can copy any list into dynalist without a problem, but I can’t copy a list from dynalist into obsidian without the formatting getting messed up as already mentioned by other users. It IS pretty annoying… it might not be your fault, but it is a legit problem for your customers. Dynalist and obsidian should play well together imho. Thanks

1 Like

That thread is closed because it was diagnosed as a non obsidian problem (the paragraph was there). Now in your case, can you provide a copy of the clipboard content?

This may be the issue, it’s not limited to dynalist https://forum.obsidian.md/t/2-extra-spaces-are-present-at-the-beginning-of-each-list-items-when-pasting/56880

The below is copied directly from dynalist. And yes you are right, it is not limited to dynalist, it is when I copy bullet points from anywhere into obsidian that the formatting is messed up.

* here
* is
* a
* list
* that
* i
* made
* in
* dynalist

here is a list from chatGPT

* "I think, therefore I am." - René Descartes
* "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Also, here is a copy of nested bullet points from dynalist

* here
* is
  * a
    * list
      * that
    * i
      * made
        * in
  * dynalist

I am going to need the clipboard content in html, Clipboard Test