Obsidian Publish: Password protect only parts of the website/individual notes

Hello
As a lot of people I have a “second” brain in obsidian, so I store a lot of things in there.
I use one vault for everything because I have links from everywhere (from personal to work and so on)
I want to share some of the notes with my students and coworkers
Current publish option doesn’t suggest to have passwords page-based, you can only password the entire website

Is there any way to make page-based passwords (enetering passoword for specifc page, not an authorisation tool)?
If not what would be the easiest way to maintain md → pdf routine (GH Pages doesn’t work well with Latex, which is exremely important)

23 Likes

Adding here the related FR in case someone stumbles onto this: < Password protection for individual notes in Obsidian Publish would be great>

Would it be possible for individual notes to be password protected so that one could publish some content but require the visitor to have a password to see it?

27 Likes

Yeah, how is this not a thing??? It’s really holding me up on sharing some content I’d like to be more selective about.

3 Likes

+1 for this.

+1 With a cherry on top. Password protection for folders would be most useful I think.

4 Likes

+1. Would really make use of note specific passwords on publish

3 Likes

Has anyone figured out a way to essentially accomplish this?

1 Like

Is there any reason this isn’t on trello or any other planned updates?

1 Like

+1 This would be a feature, that I would be willing to pay additional money for ! :slight_smile:

I have some Notes that I would like to share public to every visitor, but some others that should remain only for a certain circle - but all of them are connected to my diary-keeping that also happens in Obsidian, because I derive many thoughts for the published part from there…

The only way I can do it now, is to painstakingly move all the content and notes that I want to share with a closer circle to another vault, but that again makes me loosing all the connections to my diary…

Unfortunately that makes the publishing - that is SUCH a nice thing - almost useless for me…

So yes, PLEASE ! if someone stumbles across this at any time !

It would be SO great !

4 Likes

while we’re just blurting out ideas, it wouldn’t be terrible if it hooked into Keybase which would allow us to create arbitrary recipients or readers (e.g. you can use Keybase to encrypt something to one of my twitter handles and if i use keybase and have that handle as my proof i can read it and verify signature from writer/sender.

otherwise use x509 certs would be my second choice followed by just a gross implementation of gnupg via plugin with ascii-armored ciphertext maybe?

1 Like

Please!!! +1000

1 Like

Is this filed as a Feature Request?

1 Like

+1 This would be a godsend!

1 Like

If you’ve got a bit of tech skill you can add this very easily (and free) with Cloudflare Workers:

You could set it as above so that everything in a particular folder is password protected, but you could also match individual pages instead if you wanted.

You can even go so far as to add a paywall:

1 Like

+1
Would be really great for selective sharing of content

1 Like

+1
I have been waiting long time for this

1 Like

+1
It would be awesome to have password protection for both notes and folders

1 Like

+1
This would really help. I want to share specific notes with close friends under the same site but enjoy a majority of the notes being public

1 Like

I woule love this feature too - specify different areas and subareas, give them password protection to be able to link different output for different target groups.

1 Like