PARA Starter Kit

Dropbox allows for “first-gen emoji” for example heart and writing hand, but not a book

Dropbox supports using emoji that fall in the Basic Multilingual Plance in file and folder names on the website (although there are some OSes that might not sync the files to your desktop computer due to not playing nice with local filesystems).

Emoji that fall into the Supplementary Multilingual Plane won’t work with the Dropbox underlying filesystem, newer emoji fall into this category and are not expected to sync with Dropbox.

Source:

Now it’s a double cliff-hanger!

I’ve been researching this PARA method for a few days now, and I’m drawn to it, but I’m not quite understanding how to implement the “Areas”. It sounds like an Area is a broad subject that you want to keep up with throughout your life, and projects are linked to areas. So is the idea to have an “Area” folder in Obsidian where each file is its own separate area, like “Fitness”? Then inside of that “Fitness” file, I would make bi-directional links to my projects relating to fitness? Is that it or am I missing something?

I should note that I saw how it was laid out in the PARA Starter Kit, but I think that just leaves me more confused than before haha. It looks like each area is its own subfolder, and inside of that subfolder are just things that would typically belong in Resources.

2 Likes

Areas seems to trip a lot of people, not just you really. I’m planning to redo another version of the kit with updated information about some aspect. One of the things about Project and Areas is that while project can comes from an Area they’re not linked, because there’s no need. I don’t need for example to have a link between my “Server Setup” project and my “Sysadmin” Area, I know that the project comes from there so there’s no need to on top put Areas in there or put projects in Areas. At the end of the project I can just take the relevant things and put them in the relevant area.

As for the areas themselves, it’s for things that I have a standard to maintain over time and that I’m currently working toward (not nice to have and no interested in, those are resources) AND it’s things I write myself and for my own use. Resources are things other people write and stuff like article, book, reference, etc. There was a couple big changes in how I did PARA that I learn from the last BASB course, Areas and Resources can have the same folders, you can have health in both for example. The difference between the 2 is it personal or is it general.

The example was would you be willing to take that folder AS IS and give it to someone who asked what you know about a subject, stuff you wouldn’t be comfortable giving to people because it’s too personal or complicated because it was written for you go into areas.

10 Likes

Got it now; that makes it very clear. Thank you very much!

I think the best way to distinguish Areas v. Resources is that Areas are notes that are personal to you while Resources are a collection of notes that you could share with someone else who could benefit from your research / collection of notes.

4 Likes

Looks like file ./3. Resouces/Productivity/The language of SMART goals: 5 ways to fix your bad goal-setting habitsmd is not included when loading it to Obsidian 0.12.10 in Linux. The file is missing the extension separator (.), so its not recognized as a markdown file. Additionally having colon : in the name makes Obsidian 1.0.3 in Android crash, with or without, the extension separator.

3 Likes

thanks! I missed the extension part as for the : the android version was not a thing but I’m planning on redoing the package very soon so I’ll make sure to correct that

1 Like

I’m new to this whole world, based on this definition of Area and Resources I’m curious with an example I’ve seen within Resources of Wiki vs Zettlekasten and I tend to associate the same thought from the use case I saw. So would you advocate Wiki going into the Areas and Zettlekasten in the Resources?

it would be the other way around. Wiki are public shared things without personal information so they would go in Resources. ZK is supposed to be your thoughts and thinking on subject so it goes in Areas. But ZK is a system into itself already so it’s different and doesn’t fit super nicely in there because of that (and there’s multiple stage of a ZK note)

Nice article, when will you release the next part ? :grin:

Thank you so much! After hundreds of articles and youtube video, finally figured out how to setup my PARA system. This is so helpful!

I would be interested in what David Allen would say about this. I use Getting Things Done, and I don’t see where later/maybe type projects would fit into PARA. I also don’t see a separate tasks view, or a digital inbox. I am confused how someone would use this without those things.

Little bit of a weird take. First and foremost - not sure why GTD methodology matters here. But as someone that uses GTD and PARA…

I have one more main folder - inbox.

There’s a difference between an idea and a task. Ideas are bouncing around in Areas, usually.

Tasks I’ve committed to - which require projects - obviously get a project. I have an “on hold” folder for projects that have run cold to keep my Projects folder slimmer. This is just a sub folder in the Projects folder.

And I firmly believe in using separate tools for reference/notes and tasks. So, Obsidian just contains my notes anyway. Things 3 holds my tasks - which includes the thousands of single, one-off tasks I’ve completed that never had a project or presence in Obsidian at all.

It’s important to make a system that works for you. Not follow everything exactly as it is designed or imagined by somebody else.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing around with it in the last week. Maybe I’ve not used it enough to see how all my stuff would fit in. I follow most of the GTD recommendations, so that is why I compare to GTD.

I put together a post Obsidian and PARA: the perfect pair for universal knowledge management, hope it can be useful to someone.

@cotemaxime this thread has completely changed how I manage my files and really got me and my team bought in to Obsidian. Cannot thank you enough!

3 Likes

+1 When will part 2 be released, Ryan?

1 Like

Could we see the mixed version?

Someday! I wrote that post just before I happened upon Obsidian and, in turn, my focus shifted. My workflows and systems keep iterating so I haven’t had anything stable enough to talk about for a while. I regret the cliffhanger at the end of the article!

1 Like

@ryanjamurphy Time to settle down, get married, have a kid… :wink:

1 Like