Page title update is lost

Steps to reproduce

• with community plugins off and live preview on
  • click the title of a note and change it
  • use hotkey to navigate back away from current page

(the changes to the note name will be lost)

This bug is not a large issue for me since I know it is there, it might be a modest confusion for others.

Expected result

edits are maintained

Actual result

edits are lost

Environment

• Operating system: Mac OS Monterey
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.0
    Installer version: v0.13.31
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.3.0: Wed Jan 5 21:37:58 PST 2022; root:xnu-8019.80.24~20/RELEASE_X86_64 21.3.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: vip
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: Minimal
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.

Additional information

I am not sure I understand what your problem is. If I hit enter or tab it works. Which hotkey do you use?

Yes, if I hit any keys that keep me on the same page, then it will update the title as appropriate. but if you execute the ā€œNavigate Backā€ command while your cursor is still in the title then those changes are lost.

This is NOT an urgent bug for me. now that I know it happens, I just take the extra second to first hit enter, then navigate away. (but I was confused for a while since I was making edits that were not sticking, but since I had already left the page, I did not know my work was not saved.)

I donā€™t consider this a bug. Please, open a feature request.

Hah, no need for a feature request. It is easy for me to avoid, but I do suspect it confuses other usersā€¦

The primary case would be a user that wants to rename many outgoing links from a page. The natural action is to click on the link edit its title, then navigate back.

I would respectfully disagree thsi it is not a bug. The app clearly does ā€œsave in the backgroundā€ for all other data. It is not consistent for this one piece of data to operate differently.

All that said. I do agree there are bigger fish to fry, worry about this bug later. Probably it is not biting too many peopleā€¦ I just listed this bug as a public service.

Cheers!

1 Like