Outliner mode (similar to Logseq, Roam, Dynalist)

@vslinko Is there a reason that your plugin doesn’t intend as far as a press on tab does without the plugin?

plugin indent the same amount, there was a bug pre 1.0.18, now it should be fixed [BUG] Indents are single spaces since latest update · Issue #28 · vslinko/obsidian-outliner · GitHub

Thanks! Updating wasn’t enough, I had to toggle the Tab setting as suggested in the thread.

1 Like

THANKS FOR making this plugin!

I think this is exactly what I was looking for… coming from Workflowy, at first I thought Obsidian was going to be a self-hosted / local UPGRADED experience from Workflowy but when I first launched in it was nothing like it… reminded me more of a Typora / Ghostwriter fork.

After I started digging into things thought it became apparent Obsidian is an upgraded Typora monster… all sorts of great stuff to see.

Questions

1. Does this plugin work / function with Shift + Enter note function from Workflowy?
  2. Might you know if you can easily “share” a note with someone perhaps, if you have a custom domain sycned up (sort of like publish.obsidian.md)?
  3. Is there an import feature so I can quickly migrate away from Workflowy?
  4. If I paste a link into the editor mode, how can I replicate (or truncate URL) the display similar to Workflowy so I see a down arrow nipple INSTEAD of the [] and () stuff?

This plugin didn’t work at first because I had some options disabled. These options, I believe, must be enabled for it to work? Perhaps add a note to new users to let them know certain settings must be enabled.

• Smart indent list
  • Fold heading
  • Fold indent
  • stock theme (no community ones)

About shift + enter, there is a feature request about that, the developer might work on that later

The import thing- this is independent of the plugin itself, you could export your notes as markdown and open it in Obsidian, I used Dynalist for outlining, there were separate files, Workfowy has one long file I think?

You may want to check Logseq which could be used together with obsidian

1 Like

I would be really interested in the ability to zoom in on Markdown headings, as many of my files are a fix of headings and lists.

Should I open a feature on the outliner plugin’s Github, or is that space just for bugs?

It’s better to start a discussion about your idea.

2 Likes

Outliner is an amazing plugin. But unfortunately my cursor goes crazy when it’s activated. I hope a future update fixes it.

If you have an issue, I think @vslinko would want you to report an issue in his plugin’s GitHub repository. Make sure to turn off all third-party plugins and custom CSS :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll try to turn off other plugins and CSS theme. I hadn’t thought of that.

One problem I have with this mode is that Crtl + F ing. It doesn’t open the folded bullets. Altho it maybe more of a folding problem in general, I don’t know.

Also I would appreciate it if compatibility with RTL languages get fixed.

Otherwise it is a awesome plugin, thank you for your efforts

If you see bugs or would like to see some feature, please go to GitHub page and fill the issue there, the author of the plugin doesn’t often visit the forum

1 Like

I’d love if Obsidian integrated the community Outliner plug-in into the product directly (so it’s fully supported).

7 Likes

Looks as if the comunity plug-in would need complete rewriting to work with Codemirror 6.
I don’t know if some features would be added easily (in which case possibility of being added to core might exist). Otherwise quite a wait maybe.

3 Likes

Love your plugin. It would be nice if we can add or make headlines H2, H3, H4 within the outliner without the need to separate the outline then write the headline then start a new outline. As this takes out (or limits) the flexibility of moving section up/down. Keep it going.

3 Likes

Yes, pls consider including headers as part of the outlining hierarchy.

Working with headers: indent/outdent, move up/down

8 Likes

Giving my vote to this idea! Obsidian is awesome and deserves a proper outlining experience <3

1 Like

Perhaps trivial, but in my attempts to make Obsidian more LogSeq-like, I wanted to have the ‘halo’ for folded headers.

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-04 om 15.22.40

It can be achieved with css like this:

.markdown-source-view.mod-cm6 .is-collapsed~.cm-formatting-list .list-bullet:after,
ul>li.is-collapsed::marker {
    color: var(--text-normal);
    -webkit-text-stroke-width: 9px;
    -webkit-text-stroke-color: #333;
}
2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. Not trivial to me. This css is just what I needed. I installed the zoom plugin and I have been trying to get it working better for me. Here is a video of what I got. Looks like Logseq. I’m no expert with css, so this needs cleaned up. If you try the zoom plugin and get this nicer, please post. The hover area is a little funky and close to the fold icon. This snippet is made from the plugin css and what you posted.

Editing to add: It I change the list into a task list, it changes the icons to the checkbox, instead of adding a checkbox. That’s disappointing.

Edited again because I changed the css. When folded, I have a color change.

marker-2022-05-04_16.54.57

.zoom-plugin-bls-zoom .cm-editor .cm-formatting-list-ol {
  cursor: pointer;
}

.zoom-plugin-bls-zoom .cm-editor .cm-formatting-list-ul:hover::before {
  cursor: pointer;
  content: "•";
  font-size: 200%;
      -webkit-text-stroke-width: 9px;
  position: absolute;
  margin-top: -16px;
  margin-left: -10px;
  opacity: 50%;
}

.markdown-source-view.mod-cm6 .cm-formatting-list .list-bullet:after,
    color: var(--text-normal);
    -webkit-text-stroke-width: 1px;
    -webkit-text-stroke-color: #333;
      margin-top: 9px;
  margin-left: 7px;
      opacity: 20%;
}

.markdown-source-view.mod-cm6 .is-collapsed~.cm-formatting-list .list-bullet:after,
    color: var(--interactive-accent);
    -webkit-text-stroke-width: 1px;
    -webkit-text-stroke-color: var(--interactive-accent);
      margin-top: 9px;
  margin-left: 7px;
      opacity: 100%;
}

Also if you wanted to look I posted an issue about the horizontal line, when hoisted (zoomed). I can’t figure out what it is, to get rid of it. Styling issue on horizontal line · Issue #64 · vslinko/obsidian-zoom · GitHub

I think this macro could imitate very well the select all bullet and nested bullet from these other apps.
It’s very useful to me to push whole heading or whole section of nested bullet points with one quick stroke.

Feel free to copy and try it yourself:

imagem

Say Thanks :pray: To Developers From:

• QuickAdd, Zoom, Editor Commands Remap and Mark and Select.
1 Like