Outline pane turns into Edit pane and changes the display mode of its linked note

Steps to reproduce

1. Go to Settings -> Plugins and enable the Outline plugin
  2. Open a note in Preview Mode, ideally one with different headers/titles. This will be Pane 1.
  3. Click on More options -> Open outline. We’ll call this Pane 2.
  4. From the File Explorer, open any other note in Pane 1, again using Preview Mode. Pane 2 will change accordingly, showing the new note’s outline.
  5. Using the File Explorer again, click on an image file (JPEG, PNG…) or PDF file. This should open the attachment in both panes.
  6. Finally, click on the previous note.

Expected result

Pane 2 stays linked and shows the outline for the note on Pane 1, which stays in Preview Mode.

Actual result

Pane 2 stays linked, but it becomes a regular pane showing the same note as Pane 1, with both panes displaying in Edit Mode.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.1

Additional information

Kind of a simple bug, but it really messes up my workflow, since I like to work with a permanent Outline pane showing my note’s table of contents, and opening any attachment forces me to close Pane 2, then go to Pane 1 and change it back into Preview Mode with Ctrl + E, and finally use a custom shortcut I created for More Options -> Open outline, not to mention having to resize and rearrange this new Outline pane. I can’t think of any good reason for this feature to behave like this, but I’m not a developer, so let me now if I’m missing somehintg and this isn’t an actual bug.

I hope this is fixable for the next releases! I just downloaded Obsidian last week and I’ve been really enjoying this amazing piece of software. I’m looking forward to adding more value to the community beyond simple bug reports, but this was a nice excuse to sign up to the forum.

Thanks for the report. I get what you mean.
In the meantime, you can pin the note you are working on, this will pin the entire group of notes linked to it.
This will help your workflow, beyond this outline bug.

1 Like

Will be fixed in 0.8.3.

1 Like