Outline does not remember state—expands when note is edited, when app is relaunched, etc

Steps to reproduce

1. Make an outline
  2. Collapse outline
  3. Start typing in the main note

Expected result

I expected the outline to stay collapsed while I typed.

Actual result

It expands spontaneously while I type. When working with longer notes this is very annoying, as I might want the bird’s eye view of the note rather than all the subheadings.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.12

Additional information

6 Likes

I am not sure I understand your problem. Post a screen recording.

Sure! Here: Tue Aug 10 2021 3:28:59 PM

2 Likes

Ok, I understand. I am gonna move this to Feature Requests.

Use case or problem

I can have quite a few headings on one page. I collapse headings in the outline for easier editing. But i cant do it

Steps to reproduce

1. Collapse headers in outliner
  2. Do any operation with a heading in the text like delete or add a part of a heading or create a new one

Expected result

Headers in the outliner will remain collapsed

Actual result

In any action, they unrolled

Proposed solution

make the position memorable

7 Likes

Would also appreciate to have this fixed. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Although the Outline is great and this is not a breaking glitch, I find it quite annoying as I navigate and edit long notes on a daily basis and haven’t found any workaround yet.

At first I thought it was only me as I hadn’t found any mentions to this issue—in my conception, if it does something extra that we didn’t intend, and we have to deal with it repeatedly, it’s a quite an obstacle. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hope it gets relevant sometime.

Leaving my recording here too: video

1 Like

Thanks for revisiting this, Dave. The outline plugin is a great idea, but since I use fairly long notes with detailed outlines alongside my more atomic notes, this issue makes it useless for me. It takes so long to scroll through the outline that I end up just scrolling through the note instead. For shorter notes, there’s no need for the plugin in the first place: I can see the outline by looking at the note.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

+1000 for this.

+1 for this!

I have written a plugin to fix this, maybe use it as a workaround before official implementation:

2 Likes

Similarly to what have been done with remembering the fold of headings and list in notes, I thought it would be great if it was possible to also retain the fold we do in the outline pane.

I came to say and link to the same thing. Remembering the folds would make the Outline core plugin much more useful in large notes.

will be implemented in v1.3.1

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.