Organising The Bible in Obsidian

Hello you all!
It’s good to find such a precious discussion here.
Recently I got to make work the Bible in Obsidian in the standard you’ve been discussing… That’s great!
I have one doubt.
With the snippet shared by Joschua, which allows us to see the verse linked only hovering the mouse over the link, how can I get two or more verses?
For example, if I link to [[John-3#v16]] and hover over it, it will show the verse text. But if I want to go a little further, e.g., John 3:16-19, how am I supposed to write so that I’ll have the whole text with all verses together when I hover the mouse over it?

Hi! I’m afraid this isn’t possible currently, nor do I think it will be possible in the future (hopefully I’m wrong about that). Linking to a particular header means isolating that header from other headers, so hovering over the link only shows that header and hides other ones. With Joschua’s setup, you can only link to one verse at a time.

However, some folks in the forum have shared about their workarounds for this, see: GitHub - mkudija/BibleGateway-to-Obsidian-Catholic: This script adapts jgclark's BibleGateway-to-Markdown script to export for use in Obsidian.

1 Like

Great! Thank you for your kind reply! Much blessings!

1 Like

Over a year on, and this is fantastic. Amazing work. I’ve let my own work slide, but I’m hoping effectively to make my own Bible commentary, drawing on other sources. His is an interesting inspiration for organising information.

Is the snippet for the block quote style embed removed? I found a snippet further down but it is not combining them with the default theme

Appreciate the immense amount of work you have put into this!

I’m brand new to Obsidian and really liked the idea of having the Bible in my vault, super useful in many different use cases.
I also thought it would be great to have a Bible reading plan linking to said Bible, so I ended up creating a plan in a note with links the each section to read.
If anyone else might find that helpful, I’ll attach the note with my post here.

Bible Project - Reading Plan.zip (6.2 KB)

1 Like

The minimal theme has moved on a fair bit since this CSS was written.

on iOS the H6 heading verse 'runs into" the text itself

I am not a programmer - but is it possible to simply “hide” heading H6 in embedded content (so we don’t see the verse numbers at all?)

Hello everyone, I have created a simple plugin for easier linking of multiple verses, you can find it in the community plugins in Obsidian and read more about it here.

It only works for bible in the format described here though.

1 Like

Hi Saorsa, thank you so much for this plugin. I just started to use it and since I have been adding verse by verse my own “Spanish Bible”, it’s not complete yet. Some chapters starts at verse 5, 20, etc. On this cases, I got this warning:
Any thoughs? :laughing:

Hi, I’m not Saorsa, but whatever :grin:
As of right now, the plugin sadly won’t work with the format you have described, it just isn’t prepared for it. I updated the Requirements on GitHub.
I could add some less sophisticated command, that would just generate standard obsidian links, for example “![[Gen 1#1]![[Gen 1#2]]”, that would not depend on the content of the file at all. Would that be good for you?

1 Like

So sorry! of course you are not Saorsa but kuckejak. Can you do that? If it’s not a huge thing, please let me know how can I use that simpler command
:upside_down_face:

if you would be so kind i would like to get the .zip from you!

Loving this chain. I recently came across Obsidian and then quickly found @Joschuas post after trying to get the bible into Obsidian.

I thought I’d share a few resources that might help those of you (like me) that are still learning regex and scripting.

BBedit - I’ve used this in the past to format the bible to get it into Evernote. Its not a markdown tool but great for editing text documents and can work across multiple files at once.

Regex101 - a great tool for learning and testing out regex before you inflict your docs with your latest expression.

1 Like

There might be a more elgant way to achieve this but I’d just nudge it out of view.

Something like this should do the trick:

.markdown-preview-view h6

{
position: relative;
left: -05%;
}

Hey dwyborn? Thanks for sharing your solution! I checked them out (the Bbe and regex101) and they turned out to be the most helpful since I started my bible project. Just like you ,I was inspired by joshua? However,I needed my own bible translation rather the default one in his kit. SO many rabbit holes later I can see some hope with these two that you kindly shared. Thanks again. I must add that being on windows meant finding an alternative to the wonderful editor you proposed to Mac users and I found out that Notepad++ is good for beginners like myself. ('Beginner 'doesn’t even begin to describe my inexperience) All said ,there is a sharp learning curve I need help getting through? Point me in the right direction and my boundless enthusiasm wíll carry me the rest of the way,please? I need the regex expressions for the following on windows:

1. To add as ‘^’ followed by a number at the end of EACH VERSE to achieve this,as exemplified below Genesis 1:1
    “I the beginning God made the heavens and earth. ^1”
    This will be a block reference once it’s in Obsidian. It will and in referencing that verse when doing my LYT sessions in the bible.

2. I also neeed ever so badly to get EACH verse on its own line. Like this: (not actual verses just illustrations)
    "1 “In the beginning God made the heavens and earth”
    2 “God said,let the earth…,…”
    3 “Then there was night …”

Is there some way to achieve this with the text editor? Am so grateful for any help because the alternative will take me o e year to complete manually. Please help me save some time so I can start to LYT like a pro as soon as possible?

Hey glad you found that useful.

I love your idea of adding the block reference, I’d love to see how it works once you’ve implemented it.

I think you’ll find it easier to tackle the second point first. In my case thats already done for me at source. You’ll need to identify when each verse starts and/or ends, adding ‘\n’ for new line before the verse numbers might achieve this. That’s how i’d do it in BBedit at least, I have no idea about Notepadd++.

Once you have verse on individual lines appending the ‘^1’ to the end of a row should be easier to achieve. If you get stuck share some screenshots and if i can’t help I’m sure someone on here can.

Hi, it took me a while because I’m working on my bachelor thesis, but I have just published a new version that adds the simpler command (called Create obsidian links to bible verses), so you should be able to update the plugin and use it now.

Also, check the settings and customize them to your liking.

Yeah first things should one first…:grin::grin: Good starting point. Arranging the verses to lines…on notepad ++ it’s a sort function… I’ll have to figure that out first…how to sort those verses to lines…as for your offer thanks…I feel guided already. Let me take some time to work this out.

Best of luck hope you figure it out. I’m not familiar with notepad++ so your on your own with that one.

Obsidian Bible Linker plugin update (almost anyone can use it now)

Hello everyone, I updated my plugin for easier linking of multiple verses.

There is now a new command called “Create Obsidian links to Bible verses”, which should be usable with basically any Bible file structure (you can tweak its behavior in settings to suit your needs).

Little showcase:
Obsidian_MGpZRV4E1R

Hope you will like it and use it well.

4 Likes