Option to search in ignored folders

Use case or problem

I really like the new setting in Obsidian that lets me ignore some folders from the search:

I usually don’t want to see my template files showing up in the search results when searching for e.g. #TODO tags, and this setting is brilliant for it! :sunglasses: But sometimes - more rarely - I’m searching for old links that I want to replace with new ones, and they might be located in my template files, too.

Proposed solution

I’d like to include a new option in this search pane:

kuva

I’ve marked a place with a red dot where I’d suggest to add a toggle icon Include excluded files. By default, this option would be disabled.

As an added benefit, the tooltip could also list the excluded directories, just as a reminder for the user too see in practise, what locations are currently ignored.

Current workaround (optional)

Currently, I don’t use the global search, if I’m looking for something that I know might be located in my excluded files. Instead, I go through the excluded files manually and perform a local search inside each file.

Thank you for considering this! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Alternative workaround: install the plugin “Omnisearch” and keep the setting “Respect Obsidian’s exlcuded files” disabled.

Then replace the shortcut of the Quick Switcher with the Omnisearch.

2 Likes

you can search in ignored folders, you need to explicitly ask for it by adding it to the path:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.