Option to quickly open specifc notes

Use case or problem

I’m using Nick Milo’s system and I have a Home note that serves as a central hub (MOC - Map of Content). I’d like to be able to quickly access it.

Proposed solution 1

Option to add keyboard shortcuts to notes.

If more than one note has the same shortcut, all of them are opened at once.

Proposed solution 2

Option to add shortcuts to notes on the bar at the bottom of the screen.

The bar at the bottom of the screen has screen-estate that is not currently being used. Saved notes could appear as icons on the left side of the bar.

Something like this:

1 Like

for inspiration: “proposed solution 2” is implemented e.g. in TheBrain:

In TheBrain you can also assign keyboard shortcuts separately to each pin1 … pin12

2 Likes

As of “Proposed solution 1”: On Windows 7 I use AutoHotkey to open specific file by hotkey in Obsidian. I am using Andy mode plugin.
Because after opening in new pane, the focus remains on the old pane, I keep shortcuts ergonomically around shortcut for closing the old pane to open in the same spot effectively by consecutive press.
Here is the code for opening [[index]] by F10 and closing active pane by F9 and also illustration how to open multiple notes by one hotkey F8.

; OPEN SPECIFIC FILE IN OBSIDIAN USING DEDICATED KEYBOARD SHORTCUT
global MyInstallationPath_Obsidian := "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Obsidian\Obsidian.exe"

#IfWinActive ahk_exe Obsidian.exe
  F8::
    F_OpenInObsidian("scheduled.md")
    F_OpenInObsidian("index.md")
    return
  F9::
    Hotstring("Reset") ; resets hotstrings recognizer
    Send, ^w ; Ctrl+W ; close active pane
    return
  F10::
    F_OpenInObsidian("index.md")
    return
#IfWinActive

F_OpenInObsidian(V_FileName) { 
  ; opens specified note in Obsidian by simulating keystrokes into "QuickSwitcher"
  If WinExist("ahk_exe Obsidian.exe") ; Obsidian
    {
    WinActivate ; Obsidian ; Use window above.
    WinWaitActive ahk_exe Obsidian.exe
    Send, ^o ; hotkey Ctrl+O set in Obsidian to open "QuickSwitcher"
    Sleep, 100 ; maybe not needed 
    SendLevel, 0
    Send, %V_FileName% ; type in content of variable
    Sleep, 100 ; maybe not needed 
    Send, ^{Enter} ; Ctrl+Enter opens in new pane. {Enter} would open in current pane
    }
  Else ; Obsidian is not running so at least start Obsidian and try again later. 
    run %MyInstallationPath_Obsidian%
  return
} ; F_OpenInObsidian(V_FileName)
2 Likes

On macOS you could use Keyboard Maestro and create a palette of specific files. Those palettes have default hotkeys of the first letter/number of the action name. Pretty quick to invoke the palette then tap one key. I use this pattern in several of my file and music management workflows

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll give it a try.

I’m also using the Andy mode plugin. I love it.