Open Sourcing of Obsidian

This is one of my favorite projects and a cornerstone of my structure. I would love to be able to help develop it and have no problem supporting it. I do believe open-sourcing it would accelerate its development and maybe create some alternatives based on it (not great for business). The forks question could be addressed with the license and I believe more than enough people will be using the sync and publish functions which would be invaluable for some. An open-source business model that comes to mind is red hat.

I’ve been looking for a project like this for years now and I’m so happy to have finally found one, being here since the early days. The only obstacle in sight is it not being open source. I’m incredibly thankful for Obsidian and development has been unbelievably rapid. I’m here to offer my support for open-sourcing it and making it the go-to knowledge management system of the future. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There are issues with open source. If the “community” does not get excited and take it up it dies. There is just no incentive to add new and exciting features. Just go to GitHub and look at all the open source projects no one updates. KillerWhale is right, Obsidian belongs to the Obsidian team. Why would they make it open source, just to have some company swoop in and make money off a spinoff; VSCode. I know what you’re going to say, “VSCode is free”. You don’t think MS is making money off VSCode? No one works for free. You want to help support the project, help the developers? Toss a bit of coin their way. Just my two cents.

ce

5 Likes

One doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the other.
Closed source companies fail as well you just don’t see their remnants out in the open.

Beside they would still develop the product on their own. It being Open Source just would allow the community to help. No one so far argued that Obsidian should become a community project.

And as it was said before:

• Open Source software doesn’t have to be gratis
  • They could choose a license which would permits them to keep the code.

It’s interesting how this biases are always coming up.

5 Likes

I love the idea of free and open source software. I find that in many cases open source products are better for me than proprietary. I have been using Linux (mostly Mint, MX) on all my PC’s for many years because it’s superior in many ways to OSX and Windows. I use Thunderbird, Firefox, Nextcloud over Google Drive or One Drive, Bitwarden for passwords, etc.

But in some cases open source is not better and cannot deliver what’s required, for my purposes, in the time I need it. As an example, my favorite note taking app, prior to finding Obsidian, was Joplin. It’s really great, has excellent developers, great community and features are added and refined regularly, even quickly. Despite that, after years of waiting it still hasn’t manged to deliver what I need. I’d still rather use Joplin than Evernote, Onenote, etc despite the missing features.

In many cases, I will choose a product with less features in exchange for privacy and configurability. Its not the closed source nature of many products that make them ‘bad’ but the ethics and philosophy of the developers. In the case of Obsidian, it may not be open source, but it is a superior product made by people with great ethics. Their philosophy and ethics are not just given lip service on their website but are unmistakably present in the product, in their design decisions and community involvement.

Capitalism is not going away anytime soon, what we need are more pioneers like the Obsidian team, proving that businesses can be successful and ethical at the same time.

16 Likes

I don’t see any reason why the company should give up all the hard work they did.
The notes are in standard format, no one is stopping you from making a competitive product (if you can figure out how to make money on it).

4 Likes

Hello everyone - I’ve recently switched to Obsidian and I’m very very much into it. I love that the developers have us, the users, in mind as the first priority.

I do wince at the idea that Obsidian is not open source, however. And for that, I do have a suggestion:

Other user-first, and privacy-first commercial companies have encountered this problem, and the license that they’ve adopted is the Business Source License, developed by MariaDB. Venueless is one of the many companies that has used the license.

Adopting this license will definitely ease my discomfort, and would meet many of the concerns raised above in this thread.

Keep up the great work. This is a product that’s made with love, and it shows.

4 Likes

That’s a very interesting suggestion. It seems like that sort of idea shows true commitment to user-freedom and real, practical longevity for personal use of the tool. I notice that licence also linked to another similar one called the Fair Source License, which nearly replicates what Obsidian currently does with its business model except of course, enables more user-freedom and sets a clear boundary around commercial use. Both of these also seem like they might enable something of the benefits gained by developing free and open source software.

In my case, if I saw Obsidian using either of these, I’d finally be convinced of their sincerity committing to “A second brain, for you, forever.” – and would immediately pay for this.

4 Likes

Having read through this discourse, I wanted to throw in my perspective and thoughts.

Perspective

I’d like to focus on the term, “Intellectual Property.” Note that the second word is Property. It’s property. The owners can do with it whatever they wish. And the countless hours of effort that went into its creation is real investment. Or, as the old prospector said in the movie, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, “An ounce of gold, mister, is worth what it is because of the human labor that went into the finding and the getting of it.” In other words, it’s the effort that imbues value into the product. As a result of this perspective, I find the browbeating to be beyond the pale. I, for one, am grateful for their hard work and the allowance of a free license for personal use. This is beyond generous.

Commercial versus Open-Source

I’m going to say something controversial, based on observation: Truly successful software is not open-source. If you think that it is, you simply aren’t looking at enough history. We can keep forking what was Star Office until the Sun burns out (pun intended), but it will still not enjoy anywhere near the success of MS Office. Why is that? Because the relationship between a commercial product and its customers is one of symbiosis. The company gets fed, and the customer gets certain guarantees in return. This relationship simply doesn’t exist in the open-source world. I find it humorous that some folks will only feel comfortable using Obsidian if it’s open-source; I feel the exact opposite!

Right about now, I’m sure some folks want to tell me to look at Linux as a huge success. It is, but because of commercial investment. There are plenty of distros, but I don’t know of any company that would run their HR system on Linux Mint. However I’m sure there are plenty of companies that would use RedHat. When it comes to the survival of the enterprise, it’s all about the support, and those guarantees. So I have to ask myself, am I better off with Open source so I’ll have the source code I’ll never get around to reading, and have to rely on the kindness of strangers for support, or am I better off with commercial software that is routinely maintained, with regular release cycles, and those nice guarantees? That is, after all, what we’re paying for when we buy commercial software. If this is not what you want, then maybe what you want is a hobby, not something that absolutely, positively, has to work.

All software can go away, but it’s a matter of how it goes away that’s important. Commercial software has stated end-of-life dates; open-source rots in place. If a company goes under, typically the intellectual property is sold. No one throws out something that can be monetized. Open source just dies, and you don’t know it until either you visit the repository and discover it hasn’t been updated in three years, or you upgrade your OS and it stops working. Whoops.

My trust model

A number of years ago, I took my son to Disney World and had an epiphany. We were walking out of Animal Kingdom, and I noticed these really nice hanging lamps along the path, with metal shades craved as a silhouette of animals. I stopped by the Guest Services and said, “You probably can’t answer this, but I’d love to know where those lamps on the path came from.” An assistant came out with a camera, had me walk him to the lamps, and he took a photo of one and told me it would be sent to the Imagineering team and I should get an email in a couple of days. (Now that’s service.) Sure enough, two days later, I got the answer: they make them in-house. My first thought was, why go through the trouble of designing and manufacturing such a thing in-house? And then it hit me. They want control. If, a few years after the lights are installed, a worker carrying a ladder accidentally breaks one, they cannot be told by a supplier, “Sorry, that model is discontinued.” Now they have one light that’s different? That was the epiphany. Every time you rely on a product or service, you give up a certain amount of control.

It is inevitable that we must rely on some products and services, and therefore give up some control, and this is a matter of trust. Trust is a tricky thing. What’s important to know here is that I minimize the number of trust relationships I must establish, in order to minimize risk and keep greater control. This means I minimize software vendors. There’s a very good reason why I use the Mac OS instead of Windows or Linux for my most important data; the base OS does so much. On Windows, it seems like you have to install yet another .exe for every little thing you want to do. Each one of those is a malware risk. On Unix systems, so much more facility is baked right in. When I use a Mac, I have to extend a trust relationship to Apple, and very few other entities. On Windows, you’re extending trust to every .exe you download. Not good. And as for Linux, it’s great, (I’m typing this on Linux running in a VM that does not have access to the host storage) but I’d have to be willing to trust everyone who works on it. And that’s the other big difference between open-source and commercial software. The MacOS may be written by many people, but it’s all written as a single entity, with a single legal agreement and the guarantee this imports. Open-source software is written by a loosely-coupled group of strangers with no ultimate responsibility for the outcome.

Landing the Plane

So, that’s why I use a Mac, appreciate commercial software, and can appreciate Obsidian’s position. I can appreciate Open Source for what it is, but can’t rely on it for what it isn’t.

23 Likes

This is a truly excellent post. Thank you.

In the IT world this is simply not true.
WhatsApp wasn’t worth 22 billion because of the effort.
Another example are the prices for IT hardware, it’s crazy what kind of price cuts manufactures can make when you order as a company and not a normal customer.
In addition software can be sold multiple times after you finished the initial effort.

In my opinion, vendor lock-in to proprietary formats, marketing and initial costs of switching.
With MS there is the additional benefit of the integration with Active Directory and it’s client management.
In addition large companies often have quite “interesting” ways to defend their marketing share. Often they can just throw more money at a product than their competition.

Redhat is the best example for a company which lives Free Software and is financially successful.
Nobody says that one isn’t allowed to make money with Free Software.
Everybody who argues against releasing the code somehow seems to think that and forgets that Osidian is already gratis for personal use.
Besides, what do you think remains from Obsidian if we rip out all the Open Source parts?
My guess is, not that much and certainly nothing you can work with.

No you have to ask yourself if you would like to use a commercial software (which can be Free Software without a problem) or a community project.
Closed source software in itself doesn’t mean stable software in itself (neither does Free Software).
Apple (to use your example) broke stuff many times with updates despite being a very closed company.

Does it? No one is required to deliver updates to you when you bought the software if it isn’t written in a contract.
I’m sure there are plenty of companies who sell old software which they don’t really maintain anymore.
And you won’t know ever because you don’t even have a repository to look at.

The whole Disney example doesn’t really work for me here. That’s more an argument for making it myself instead of getting something from somewhere else.
When it comes to software that would even be a case for Open Source software because you can continue maintaining the software even after the original
developer stopped working ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Usually there’s a central core working on and maintaining a project with many people contributing to the code. However the contributions don’t get accepted blindly into the repository, that would be insane.

6 Likes

Can you please explain how you would do this? You can toggle the button that says to sync, but how can you know that the app is not connecting to the internet?

Right now, I have my updating option turned off; but Obsidian is still able to embed iframe content from the web; so I think that toggling that button did not block the app from communicating with the web.

Is there a way to check. your networks, etc to see if a request was made from the app?

Hi @Nebucatnetzer, I’d like to make some clarifications.

On the value of products:

You are speaking of the nebulous concept of market capitalization value, which is a kind of weird measure of faith. I am speaking of investment value, which includes the time employees put into the development of a product, and the initial capital investment. I suppose I should have included more of the quote from Treasure of the Sierra Madre:

A thousand men, say, go searching for gold. After six months, one of 'em is lucky - one out of the thousand. His find represents not only his own labor but that of nine hundred and ninety-nine others to boot. That’s uh, six thousand months or five hundred years scrabbling over mountains, going hungry and thirsty. An ounce of gold, mister, is worth what it is because of the human labor that went into the finding and the getting of it.

Unless you think there was no capital investment and the time of the employees is worthless, there’s inherent value in Obsidian as an intellectual property. To say,

is to say that no products related to IT have inherent value. I disagree, thus my original statement of perspective.

Hardware and software are two very different things. Even my coffee maker has a microprocessor in it, so “IT-related” hardware is no different from other tangible goods when it comes to sourcing of raw materials, supply lines, manufacturing, inventory, shipping, etc. Then there is the economy of scale that allows a manufacturer to offer a better unit price for a large-quantity order. I could go into why that is, but I don’t think any talk of hardware is germane to the topic of software intellectual property as it applies to Obsidian.

Yes, but it’s not as if it’s an annuity that will continue to pay without effort. Even after Obsidian becomes a mature product, it will continue to be maintained to keep up with changes in the underlying software stack, including the OS. It will continue to have to provide support (that magical thing that’s completely lacking in open-source) and it will continue to have to address bugs and feature requests. I just quashed a bug in our CM system that’s been there for 10 years. There’s no end to that software maintenance.

On the topic of why open source doesn’t enjoy the success of MS Office:

The progeny of Star Office can read/write .docx and .xlsx files, so I’m not seeing the lock-in or proprietary formats as an issue, nor the subsequent issues. The product that is Microsoft Office wasn’t always the market behemoth it is today; all products start from zero. What it always has been, though, is commercial for-sale software. And that made all the difference, because for software to survive over the “long-haul,” it must be continually maintained. Open-source maintainers contribute out of interest, while professional software developers contribute out of career choice. When open-source contributors lose interest / move on, the continued stability of the software is only assured by the uptake of contributors. When professional developers working on a commercial product lose interest and move on, they are simply replaced. This is why, on a software “geologic time scale,” open-source is DOA, and why I said

On Redhat:

If Free Software costs money, it’s not free, so I find this argument to be a bit specious. We pay 6-figures for a RedHat site license. That’s the most expensive “free software” I’ve ever seen. What they did was find a way to monetize open-source in a way that costs just as much as proprietary commercial software by maintaining the commercial model: they get fed, you get guarantees. Besides, they’re only obligated to open source the open-source software, nothing they write themselves. Your software isn’t open-source just because it talks to open-source software.

Then I guess you don’t need their source code! What an insult to the Obsidian team.

My statements on commercial software aren’t meant to be an absolute, applying to all for-sale software. There are plenty of examples of poor commercial software; just look at the dumpster fire that is the Play Store (just the name tells you they aren’t ready for business). My statements are meant to reflect my perspective based on what I personally look for in products, and what are good products.

The point of the Disney example is to provide the foundation for my trust model. I did say,

So no, it’s not meant to say one should make everything oneself. That’s not really possible. The point is, one has to choose wisely in establishing that trust. When it comes to software, I want something that will be around for the foreseeable future. That doesn’t mean forever; nothing is forever. It does mean, though, that open-source software has a lousy track record overall, compared to commercial software.

On commercial software having end-of-life dates:

This is a part of the calculus in determining my trust level for a product that I need to just work. How old is the company? How old/stable is the product? Is it one person in a garage? Do they have a privacy statement? Do they have a release model? Do they have a roadmap? Etc. For example, I don’t know if Apple actually states their software update model someplace, but they have a long history of a major OS update every year, so that is their de facto update model.

On open-source being written by a loosely-coupled group of strangers with no ultimate responsibility:

And the central core is typically very small, leading to stability issues. As for other contributions, it’s a band of strangers. I’ll wager that he vast majority of people who use open-source software don’t actually read the source code. If they did, maybe the promise of multiple eyes making a product more secure, robust, etc., would come true. I’m not seeing it.

A strange thing happens when money changes hands: legal strictures come into play. Large commercial software products have well established review processes in place. This is dictated by the notion that a major issue with a major product threatens the survival of the enterprise. Said another way, to a software company, a major problem is an existential threat. And if, somehow, a nefarious employee manages to get malicious code into the product, the company knows the identity of that person, and there are legal and civil repercussions. The same cannot be said for free software. Have you ever seen something similar to this statement:

No warranty expressed or implied, as to the fitness or suitability of this product to a particular purpose.

Here’s my interpretation:

You’re an idiot if you run this software, because we won’t even guarantee that it’ll do what we wrote it to do.

Sometimes the use of software under these circumstances is unavoidable. In those circumstances, I’ll have to employ risk mitigation techniques.

This is all just a matter of perspective. If I play a computer game, I don’t expect it to be error-free. This is the hobbyist side of my life. But every person has a portion of their life that represents business, and that portion has to be run like a business, which means I expect that software to just work and have guarantees of support if it doesn’t, because that’s how businesses operate: guarantees up and down the supply chain so that all parties have assurances. I don’t need the source code to a product, I just need assurances to plug into the trust calculation. If your trust model requires you to have the source code, then you’re free to not use the product. Expecting Obsidian to change their business model and release the source code in order to fit your trust calculation is the tail wagging the dog, as they say.

3 Likes

Hello @datum

I would like to offer two points that I hope will contribute to your (or anyone’s) knowledge because I suspect there may be some paths not connecting in this conversation due to different understandings of the language used.

When people talk about “free and open source software” the word “free” has nothing to do with cost. It is being used in one of its other meanings (an unfortunate difficulty with this particular English word). You can read more about that definition from its source. But here’s a brief quote:

“Free software” means software that respects users’ freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price.

I would also suggest doing some in-depth looking at all of the proprietary systems out there, you might be surprised just how many of them have free and open source software underpinnings or rely on FOSS to exist. Practically none of the common, regular work anyone does through the Internet on existing operating systems would be happening without FOSS. That’s the case whether we’re talking about browsers, the OS, or right down to things like DNS. The statement from @Nebucatnetzer about ripping out source code, though I cannot read minds of course, I’d guess was not so much intended as insult but a mere statement of fact.

7 Likes

I agree that it makes more sense this way.
However I still think that the analogy doesn’t really work for IT/Software projects.
I agree that my reply there and that topic is a bit OT.

Yes maintenance is required but if you don’t add new features it’s usually a fraction of the initial investment.

No, support isn’t missing from Open Source projects.
Many projects offer payed support (which is how they usually make money from the project) or there are companies which provide services around an Open Source project which then provide the support.
It highly depends on the project.

The .doc/.xls/.ppt are a proprietary format which were only fully supported by MS Office and had to be reversed engineered by other software in order to support it.
Docx etc. are supposed to be an open standard but apparently Microsoft isn’t really working according to its own standard.
That is IMO where the vendor lock-in is coming from besides other things (Vendor lock-in - Wikipedia).

This statement can’t be applied to all projects.
A lot of Open Source projects are developed by developers working at a company.
And for proprietary software it highly depends on the size of the company.
With an Open Source project there is however the possibility that a third party can pick up the work.

As @owlyph suspected I’m talking about Free Software as in Free Speech not as in free beer. Which is a subset of Open Source software.

I never said that Free or Open Source software has to be gratis.
Yes RHEL costs money but according to Wikipedia it is still Open Source (I haven’t searched for the code).

Depending on the license the base software uses you are at least required to publish the changes you made to that software.

It wasn’t meant as an insult more like “they are standing on the shoulders of giants”.
IMO it is only consequent to release the source code of your software if you’re using Open Source software.

I reckon that highly depends on the point of view. Examples can easily be made for both cases.

And this questions can be used for any software project doesn’t really matter what source model they use.
A company developing in the open just makes the privacy part a bit less based on trust and more based on facts.

AFAIK the dev team of Obsidian is quite small.

So?

I reckon the majority aren’t developers but they could if they wanted to.

Being closed source surely doesn’t help with being more secure (security through obscurity).
Neither does it help with stability etc. that just depends on the projects again.

Of course it can be the same if the Open Source software is sold as a product.

Sure when you read the ULAs for a lot of cloud services it’s even worse.

That statement usually comes with software that is provided free of costs for which nobody pays for any special support and the project can’t afford any legal battles.
I’m sure products like Office have similar statements that Microsoft isn’t responsible for any lose of data etc…

It doesn’t require it but I feel a whole lot more comfortable when using Open Source software :slight_smile:

I’m not expecting them to change their business model, I’m kindly asking them to release their source code. They can keep their business model as is.

2 Likes

Yes. Wireshark, a free program. You could also use an outbound firewall, set to deny everything and ask first. Simply block what you need.

1 Like

If you are using MacOS , have a look at Little Snitch.

1 Like

I would kindly and very seriously ask them to not to. I want them to protect what they built. And I believe we have had a definitive answer in this thread, and that there are competing open-source software on the same market that can be used – and contributed to – by people who are looking for open-source software. Maybe – just maybe – this thread could be put to rest.

7 Likes

Open Source isn’t just “I gEt tO sEe Teh seCrEt coDeS”; going open source necessitates a business model change. There is an inherent contradiction in your assumptions and demands here.

I agree as I already said in December.

I’m only continuing to reply because I feel there a lot of misconceptions about Free Software. E.g. “You can’t charge for Free Software”.

What a grown up comment.
To me a business model is the way a company is making money from a product (and seems to be the common definition after a quick research).
IMO they wouldn’t have to change anything related to the money making part even after they’ve provided the source.
I personally don’t even care about the server side code since I’m using it with my own sync solution.

3 Likes

What you are describing is more accurately classified “source available” licensing but is not, by definition, Open Source or Free Software. They have specific definitions. Going Open Source would necessitate a business model change for them, and one with low odds of success for a direct-to-consumer product.

6 Likes